𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

" Comment va votre hôte? " He asked with a small whisper. " We're almost out of this place.. "

"Pas bien..." he said, matching how quiet 049 was. "Would be better if you hadn't hit it so hard."

" I'm talking about that black goopy acid of yours.. " He uttered beneath his breath before sighing. " You don't feel physical pain from your hosts.. right? "

"Right you are, doctor. However, I still have some empathy."

" Empathy.. of course you do. " He said with sarcasm. They'd finally reach outside of the town, taking out a compass that he might've taken from the store along with the tape. 049 then proceeded to take the hand of 035's host and begin heading off north.

035 allowed him to do this. Probably a good idea to stay close, anyway. "What exactly did you see back there?" he asked.

049 was silent for a little while for answering. " Doesn't matter.. we're out of there. We should just focus on making our way towards Italy. "

Though he wanted an answer, 035 decided that he could ask later. "Alright then."

He'd hum in thought, staring at the compass as they walked. " Where do you wish to go see once we reach Italy if I may ask? "

035 didn't answer for a moment, deciding what he would do. "Honestly, I'm over the cities. I love the people, but the atmosphere in them has changed since you and I were there. Much too commercial. I would rather we find our place in the country, mon amour."

" I approve the idea.. yet, we both know we cannot stay for too long. Mon amour, if it's alright to ask.. does your acid burn through the bone? We cannot leave a body for the Foundation to find. " He informed.

"Yes, everything gets dissolved eventually. Why?"

" If we were to leave some sort of body or body part.. or even something as simple as a bone.. the Foundation will eventually get a lead on us. They are intelligent. That is why we are only visiting Italy and places where they know where we've been. "

"I am aware. But why exactly are you so on edge about it now?" He sounded very suspicious of 049.

049 went silent for a long while, continuing to walk while staring down at the compass he held. " Why wouldn't I be..? "

035 could tell that he was lying, but didn't say anything about it. "Sure... you're right."

He was a bit confused, stopping in his tracks and looking over to 035. " Is.. something wrong? "

He sighed. "Tu es un très mauvais menteur, mon amour..."

049 would let out a small groan. " Et ton point est? "

"Why is it that you're suddenly so on edge?" he asked bluntly. "I know there's a reason."

049 straighten himself up, placing both hands on the cane as he gave a nod. " You are correct. There's a reason.. but, it's a not a very good one. "