Celebrations in Lockdown

Hello there! Surprised aren't we? This was supposed to be a valentine's day special update but things happened and I forgot about this all together. Anyway, better late than never, right?

This story was written in the initial part of lockdown when I wasn't dying under enormous workload. But I haven't edited it since. So, assume that this is early March or April of 2020.

--__--

She tapped her foot against the pavement, more due to nervousness than impatience. She had been standing here for barely two minutes but her brain was already doubting her.

Did she just dream up a call from the Oberois?

With her newfound addiction of eating molten chocolate as she reads the most cliche and unrealistic fantasy romances, she wouldn't be surprised if her overactive, high on a sugarrush imagination made her dream of that call.

She fiddled with her dupatta as she found her thoughts going back to him. It happened every single time she didn't have anything particular on her mind. He did have a pretty smile. Crushing on a customer was bad and it wasn't like he was anywhere near her league.

With shoulder length long midnight black hair and a five o' clock shadow, he did look like a model. And his smile. That pure and simple smile with a hint of wisdom. She liked him. She had admitted as much but she knew she wasn't someone he would ever be interested in. Afterall, she was a tenth pass aspiring writer with zero skills except baking.

And the books she wrote always ended up more like a fever dream than a bestseller. She had given up on that dream a long time ago. Now, she just wrote to satisfy her imagination so that she didn't start dreaming up calls like she did just now. She was just about to turn and walk away when a car parked itself right in front of her.

Startled, she looked at the driver and almost fainted when she saw him grinning sheepishly. She was sure this was a dream by now. Pinching herself, she walked upto him.

He stepped out of the black escalade and smiled down at her sheepishly, "I am sorry for being late!"

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she pinched herself again. Why was she feeling pain in a fever dream?

"I came to pick you up," he trailed a little confused why she didn't know.

"Why?"

"I thought Daadi told you..."

"That wasn't a fever dream!"

"Huh?"

She blushed and changed the topic,"Yeah, let's go. I ran out of coffee and have been living on sugar and chocolates ever since. So, ignore my sugarrush."

"That's not healthy. Should we stop by at some-"

"Don't worry, I have got loads of golgappas and snacks. Let's start this trip." She said removing her mask once she got inside the car.

"So, is this the company car?"

"Yeahhhh"

"Dilpreet ji? Did you have anything to do with me getting this order?"

"I- yeah." He admitted before quickly looking up, "But I really like your cakes."

"Thanks" she blushed but then realised that she had just been given an order on a recommendation. "So, can you tell me more about this b'day boy's choices? I really wasn't given much information."

"You." he muttered before biting his tongue. Sach ka boyfriend really needs to learn how to lie, Rudy's voice taunted in his mind.

"Huh? I didn't catch that?"