The Reunion

O.M.K.A.A.R.A.

Have you ever stood in front of a mirror, meticulously picking at your appearance only to realise that she probably won't notice?

I have. Just twenty minutes ago.

The golden tux seemed heavier today. My hair was gelled to perfection, tied neatly in a half pony. I wanted to keep it open like I knew she would prefer but I couldn't do it.

I can't handle another heartbreak.

At least with this half pony, I could convince myself I wasn't here to impress her. The gates of the school opened and my traitorous heart started racing again. It's been fourteen years. To think, I thought I could forget her by now.

I got out of the limousine as I wondered what she would think of this car. She would probably think it was too much of a show-off and I agree. But the chief guest can't just show up on a Harley, can he?

That would definitely catch her attention. But it didn't matter. I would only end up making a fool of myself like I did after the farewell party. Better not to take chances.

The Principal stood with a bouquet to welcome me, shaking my hand and almost bowing down when he talked to me. To think, fourteen years ago, this was the teacher who told me to stop trying my chances with juniors.

If you think I was hitting on every junior, then, you're sorely mistaken. I never flirted. Didn't know how to. And the only junior I was trying to get the attention of was her.

I smiled. This feeling of power and control wouldn't last long. But at least, I could prove my worth to someone. I knew one look at her and I'd go back to the awkward, shy and socially inept Omkaara Singh. I wouldn't be Omkaara Singh Oberoi, I would just be Omkaara ji.

She was three years younger and the best friend of my best friend's sister. Distant relationship, I know. But I'd take it if it meant being connected to her. I'd take whatever she gives me.

But that's besides the point. The point is that she was expected to call me bhaiyaa and I was obviously heartbroken that the girl of my dreams would call me brother. So, I struck a deal. Told her I hated being called bhaiyaa by anyone but my sister and she could just never take my name if she wanted.

She had laughed, right in my face and told me, "I would never call you bhaiyaa, Omkaara ji." And before I could ask her for more, she had just disappeared back into the crowd with her best friend, leaving me speechless and blushing, totally forgetting that she was supposed to be punished for bunking classes.

She was a free bird. And I was a lonely tree. She flew high, chirping her days away and when she was tired, she'd come to me. But she'd fly away again, leaving me standing there, lonely and hopeful. Sometimes, I'd wish for her to just be mine and spend every breathing moment with me but then I'd see her smile and laugh with her friends. She was so full of life, so high on her friendships all the time that I could only look on from a distance wishing she could return back to me soon.

"Our cheapster school had to combine our Reunion with its twenty fifth anniversary, right?"

Her voice chirped from the side of the room. I knew I'd hear her as soon as I opened the door. It didn't matter what room I walked into or how far across she was, my ears would find her voice first. My eyes usually follow but tonight I didn't let them. It's about time I stop making her uncomfortable.

With all the eyes zeroing in on me, I stood tall. The room fell into a hushed silence, people looked at me, trying to figure out who I was. They probably knew. They had to. Afterall, the golden invitations had my name written in a bold black, her favourite colour combination.