1.

Peyton.

I groaned rolling to side, I knew I brought someone to my apartment and slept with him but did he know that.

"Fuck." He cursed opening his eyes. "Shit, this didn't just happen." Abruptly he sat up looking around my bedroom. "Morning." I spoke and he turned back to look at me on the bed.

"Hey." His lazy reply made me feel better knowing he wasn't going to freak about where he was because he was drunk and we had the best sloppy sex, well for him I suppose it was.

I got up from the bed and walked out to the kitchen, I knew my guest would have one hell of a headache with how he drank last night. I grabbed a glass filled it with water and took tabs of advils.

I walked back to find my one night stand frantically wearing his clothes. "Here." I extend the water and pills to him, he downed both. "Thanks." He replied with a smile.

"I know usually one night stands go before the sun rises but stay for breakfast you look like you need it and I insist." He chuckled and we make our way out to the kitchen.

"Nice place." I smiled hearing that, I had put a lot into my apartment. "Thanks, was aiming for the cozy home vibe." He chuckled following behind me.

I don't know what drew me to this particular man, he was just a one night stand, someone I met at a bar when my friends ditched me, we had shots and came back to my place to have mind blowing sex.

Though I know he was drinking his issues and anger away, I didn't poke my nose into that business it was his to keep. I had finished breakfast and laid it out for him.

"Best breakfast I had a in a while thanks." I nod thinking about how I didn't notice the ring on his finger, he was married and I had just slept with him, had he cheated with me or was he trying to release some stress, he had a wife or husband to do that, but if he didn't go to her I may damn well believe those are more issues.

"Thanks for last night, needed it." I knew what he was talking about and it was definitely not a big deal. "You seemed stressed so I helped." He nods as we finish eating.

"You seem like a great guy and all—." I raised my hand and stopped him. "Don't give me the speech, I get it, the ring on your finger is a big sign, we'll probably never see each other again." He chuckles lightly and nods.

"I'm sorry I gotta go." He stood up and I escort him to the door. It's funny how I always get attracted to wrong kind of guy, the good ones are probably taken, the nice ones well they're only nice before sex and the rest are assholes.

It's why I haven't dived into the pool of dating, I know what heartbreak is and I'm not all that ready to get my heart broken again, it's why I stick to one night stands after two or three weeks but that was last year, this year the man I had just escorted out of my apartment was the first.

And again I felt like crap because I got attracted and a gold band blinded me making me realize he was taken. It's hard trying to find the guy for you, I don't buy that crap people tell you that there is always one for you, let's be honest there isn't.

I've known that for a while and the concept of love is daunting to me, I don't want to dive and get hurt in the process, I tried to fix the hole in my heart where love should be, I trusted him and I later realized my heart was swiss cheese and he had drilled a hole of his own.

I showered and got ready for work, today was like any other day for a fashion designer, creativity came in abundance if I allowed it to.

I had cleaned up the kitchen, making it spotless, my mom always told me I had slight OCD now that I see how my apartment looked, I'm thinking she was right.

I walk into the lift ignoring the couple next door, they always have a problem and always yell at each other in the hall, then they almost get arrested for public indecency because they were shagging in public.

Which in my opinion was totally nasty, but hey it's their life and I believe we all live it how we want. When the lift opened I hurriedly got out and walked toward the entrance, it was another fall morning and I was prepared for the wind.

I hailed a cab to get to work, when it stopped in front of me I got in, I didn't expect someone scooting me over. "Excuse me, this is my cab get your own asshole." I exclaimed glaring at the man.

"I live a few doors down from yours man, just share with me, I will even pay the whole fee." I sigh wanting to get out of there. "Fine, I'm already late." He grinned and got in.

"Thanks, I'm Lane." I really wasn't interested in anything remotely related to him. "Nice knowing you Lane." I knew he wanted my name but we all don't get what we want and besides he already gave me a weird stalker vibe.

He smirks. "Great, do you wanna get a drink sometime?" I was hardly one for friends or any kind of relationship, the few friends I had were already were shitty enough. "Pass, thanks for the offer though." I reply with a smile and got off the cab.

Somehow I knew that wasn't the last time I would encounter the man who had just asked me out for drinks and that made me feel weirdly out of balance, yet again someone to avoid.

I walked into XALVIC Inc. the company I worked for, all 54 floors divided in whatever number had a specified use, I was in 49th the fashion and design department, I had loved fashion since I was a kid and now I had a dream job.

I walked into the hurricane that was my floor, ignoring everything and everyone until I made it to my section. "Oh thank goodness you're here, what the fuck took you so long Peyton, we're meeting the new CEO today and we have a meeting with him for new the line." I rolled my eyes knowing I was being included because they hadn't done anything.

"The presentation doesn't include me Shawn, it has you, Murdock and Hilda on it, don't bother checking I already did." He scowls and I smile toward him. "But you can help, you out of all of us can do it better." I wanted to help but I wasn't going to save their asses again for the hundredth time.

"No, hard pass." Shawn glares at me but I wasn't going to change my mind. "Cool, I hope those stupid curls of your burn." I snicker rolling my eyes.

"Don't worry Shawn, I spoke to Murdock and Peyton will attend the meeting despite his lack of anything to do with it." Hilda piped up and I glared at her.

"Fuck you Hilda, I know I'm not going to embarrass myself with you all included." I retorted and a laugh makes us all turn to see Murdock. "It's not even ten yet and you're already throwing knives." Murdock exclaimed and I sighed.

"Murdock please remove the atrocity you're wearing, I know the look you're going for is retro but my grandmother could wear that better than you." The man removes his sweater.

"I will introduce this to the trash can, where it belongs." Shawn picks up the sweater and drops it in the trash can. "Thank you." I add.

"Monsters." Murdock spat. "Oh please bitch no one wants to see you looking like my semi Guatemalan grandmother." I reply and everyone except Murdock laughs.

"Don't you have a presentation to get to?" I ask Shawn. "Actually." He was about to reply and the one thing I didn't expect to happen did.

"The meeting is here." Oh, holy fuck.

+++
This book is unedited, any problems grammatical or otherwise will be fixed in due course.

LMJ