1x08: Father's Day

Sage sat on her chair near the console, behind the Doctor as he fiddled about with something on the panel. She was reading and trying not to get annoyed by whatever her husband was doing. Rose walked in, looking as though she hadn't slept for days.

"Rose, are you alright?" Sage asked as soon as she saw the blonde enter. She got up from her chair and walked towards her, alerting the Doctor. Rose nodded her head as Sage got to her and used her sleeve to wipe some tears that had fallen away.

"Peter Alan Tyler, my dad. The most wonderful man in the world." Rose began, sighing. The Doctor and Sage glanced at each other, knowing what was coming. "Born 15th September 1954. Mum always says that." She paused again. "So, I was thinking, could we go and see my dad when he was alive?"

"Where's all of this coming from, all of a sudden?" The Doctor asked, slightly confused and concerned for the blonde teenager.

"Alright then, if we can't. If it goes against the laws of time or something, then nevermind. Just leave it." She said, quickly and began to walk away.

"No, we can do anything." Sage said, pulling Rose in for a hug. "We're just more worried about you."

"I want to see him." Rose cried quietly into Sage's shoulder.

"Your wish is our command, love." Sage says, looking towards the Doctor. "But be careful what you wish for." She whispers, nodding to the Doctor who responds with a small smile and began to pull the levers on the console in front of him.

*Time Skip*

The Doctor, Sage and Rose attend Rose's parent's wedding.

"I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Angela Suzette Prentice." The register says, looking at Peter.

"I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Suzanne Suzette Anita." He says, jokingly.

"Oh, just carry on. It's good enough for Lady Di." Jackie responds.

"I thought he'd be taller." Rose says, looking towards Sage. Sage looks at Rose and smiles lightly at her, grabbing Rose's hand in comfort and giving it a squeeze.

"To be my lawful wedded wife, to love and behold till death do us part."

"He died so close to home." Rose says, quietly. The Doctor and Sage exchange a look before they all headed back to the TARDIS. "Mum wasn't there. Nobody was. It was a hit and run driver; never found out who. He was dead when the ambulance got there. She only wishes there'd been someone there for him." Rose says, looking at both Sage and the Doctor. "I want to be that someone, so he doesn't die alone."

"November the 7th?" Sage asks, looking at the console.

"1987."

Both the Doctor and Sage begin to press buttons on the console, making the TARDIS disappear from view.

*Time Skip*

"It's so weird. The day my father died." Rose says, looking around. "I thought it'd be all sort of grim and stormy; it's just an ordinary day."

"The past is another country. 1987's just the Isle of Wight." Sage says before looking at Rose. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah."

The three of them continue to walk until they get to Jordan Road.

"This is it. Jordan Rose." Rose says, taking a big breath. "He was late. He'd been to get a wedding present, a vase. Mum always said, that stupid vase." A green car comes around the corner. The three of the look towards it. "He got out of his car." The car pulls up onto the kerb. "And crossed the road." Rose says before grabbing Sage's hand, trying to find comfort once again. "Oh God, this is it."