4| abnormal girl

Nana Yaa returned from the canteen feeling a bit hot and frazzled. She wiped her face with her hanky after a sweat trickled into her eye and made it burn.

She was quite disturbed by the voice that wouldn't quite leave her.

You owe that dude an apology.

Whoa.

Now, she was sitting in the huge hall alone, since she had no friends.

And as for her own school mates...she scoffed. She knew that by now they were making new friends and gossiping about her. She didn't care. She didn't mind being alone. In fact, she kinda loved it. She thought and meditated whenever she was alone.

But, not now. She was feeling very restless. She owed that dude an apology, dammit. Well, since she had nothing to do, she rose and cut her way out of the assembly hall.

She had seen Mister Arrogant with his friends earlier, though she doubted he saw her. He was standing with his friends under one of the big trees and bantering with them.

She now knew he was a presecan, an Odade3, a student of Presec-Legon. This was because of the blue shirt and khaki shorts with the Presbyterian Boys' Secondary crest.

She kept on palm-fanning her face, and at the same time wiping her face with her blue hanky, and at times had to squint at the glaring sun that could suddenly appear from above one of the blocks.

She finally spotted him_ not under the big tree where she'd previously seen him, but buying a soft drink from a soft drinks stand. His friends were still with him, chattering on endlessly.
Her heart lurched a bit.

God, was he handsome.

Part of her mind rebuked her for thinking such a thing, but another assured her that it's not bad to admit if someone is good-looking. That felt like an understatement for him, though.

She wanted this to be fast and simple- no emotions like in the telenovelas, yeah. She would wait till he was done buying, signal to him to come to where she was standing and say a quick I'm sorry for being rude to you last night and turn away. Walk away.

But she realized that this wasn't going to be easy, since Mister Arrogant wouldn't walk all the way to her, especially not after what she'd done. Besides, she was in the wrong, so she had to make the move.

Sighing and squaring her shoulders, she walked briskly to the drink stand and tapped him lightly on the shoulder. He turned around to face her, and immediately, the look of recognition lit his eyes.

"Hi," she said."I wanted to say_"

"Hey girl," one of his friends spoke up, interrupting her. "Don't you know how to greet?"

Oh fuck! She thought. Embarrassment engulfed her, and she turned to look at Mr. Arrogant, who was smirking. Why hadn't she thought of this? She was always polite and respectful, and in any other circumstance there was no way she would forget to greet! the people around her.

She'd been thinking about Mr. Arrogant too much that she'd forgotten this, this. She was angry now. She started blaming him. It was his fault. If he didn't look so good, she wouldn't be thinking about him. She wouldn't have forgotten to greet.

She turned again to glare at his friends, five in all, all Presecans. She dealt in the best way she knew how to. When hurt, get angry. She was already angry, so she turned furious.

"How dare you." She hissed.

"Oh- excuse me." The boy lifted a hand. "It was a mere question, don't you know how to greet?" He shrugged. "But it seems you girls in Ahanss ain't taught proper manners, like greeting homo-sapiens. We were all here, but you walked straight to him-" indicating Mr. Arrogant "-and ignored all of us, even the woman selling. Wow, Ahanss. Is this how you people are raised?Hm." He shook his head and looked at Mr. Arrogant. "Or Max, am I lying?"