17| The exams

Dedicated to MaameAdwoElievi

*finally, the exams is here. This chapter took me so long to write because it was a bit hard to write. But I enjoyed writing it though, lol.

A few more chapters to go and we will be done. Thank you guys so much for sticking with me from the beginning. I've gained 200+ reads and 100+ votes on this book so far and I'm so grateful.

The school's campus buzzed with busy students going to and fro. All students who weren't offering science seemed strangely at ease, the science students feeling exactly the opposite.

The exams started exactly at nine in the morning.

And here they were, having breakfast of Milo drink; hot, and fried eggs inside toasted butter bread. Nana Yaa stared at her mug, thinking that this breakfast would make her feel sleepy.

"Are you nervous?" Maxwell calmly asked Nana Yaa.

"A little." She whispered and brought the steaming mug to her lips. She wasn't a little nervous. She was so damn nervous. Why wouldn't she be?

A damn ghost expected her to win, amongst other reasons.

"Do you care so much for the rewards?" She asked Max.

"Not really." He said. "Yeah, it will make my parents proud when I win, but the actual rewards ain't a big deal to me." He'd travelled to Paris with his family for a vacation just last year. He'd been in Dubai the year before last year.

He'd travelled around pretty much.

"But," he continued, "somehow I need to make my school proud. They look up to me, you understand." She sure did. "Do you care for the rewards?"

"Like you, not really." She popped a piece of fried egg into her mouth, enjoying the crunch of the vegetables. "But there's my late grandpa's wish to think of, my parents, and my school too."

He saw the look of worry in her eyes, and it made him sigh, deeply.

"Nana Yaa." He said and reached for her hand, but she pulled back. "Damn, stop pushing me away."

She bit the inside of her cheek as she felt grief consume her totally and her eyes burn with tears. "Hell," she muttered, wiping her tears daintily with her hanky. "Sweet, sweet hell."

"Hey, look at me." Max urged. "C'mon look at me." When she did, he said, "I know you'll make it. I know you'll make your grand-dad proud, wherever he is now."

"I hope so," she sniffed.

"Yes you can, and you will." He pressed, amazing her. She furrowed her brows together and looked intently at him. The gorgeous  face he had almost distracted her, but she fought to be on track and ask what was on her mind.