12| grandpa

Dedicated to adjei2000

During lunch the following day, Tracy spotted Nana Yaa holding an ice cream and heading to the assembly hall. She jogged to her.

"Hey, what's up?" She called out to her.

"Tracy." Nana Yaa acknowledged. "I'm fine, yourself?"

"I'm fine." Tracy said and glanced around them quite anxiously. Nana Yaa asked what was wrong.

"A lot." Tracy answered. "They gossip about you all the time when you ain't in the dorm. Don't you know?"

Nana Yaa's expression was one of cool indifference. "What do they say?"

"Stuff." Tracy shrugged. "They say you're rude and not friendly... except Jessie, Khadija, Sharla, Mariama and myself. We are the only ones who say nothing against you. And that Isobelle... Oh, how I hate her!"

"Funny." Nana Yaa said, grinning.

"You don't look troubled at all." Tracy peered at Nana Yaa.

"Why should I?" Nana Yaa said firmly, with a shrug. "I don't know them from anywhere, and we'll finish this course in a week's time, and I wouldn't ever get to see them again, at least I think. Besides, it's their own cup of tea if they want to waste their time talking about me behind my back."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Tracy said, after thinking about Nana Yaa's words for a moment. "You know I like you, don't you?"

It wasn't as if Tracy was trying to save a good face for herself. Nana Yaa had always known Tracy to be loyal.

"Yes, I know. I like you too."

"That Isobelle calls you 'rich bitch' behind your back. I call her 'hoe'."

"Funny you." Nana Yaa laughed. "Tracy, hoe for God's sake."

"She's ahoyehy3. Adwaman girl bi saa no." Tracy voiced her opinion about Isobelle as a wanton slut to Nana Yaa. "And aha, Jessica too. I suspect this Isobelle had led her to get a boyfriend. I think we must talk to her."

"Jessica must have been influenced, but she chose to follow it of her own free will." Nana Yaa replied.

"That's the more reason why we should talk to her, so she reconsiders her choice."

That made sense, she thought. "Fine, I've heard you."

"Okay then, see you around." Tracy said and walked her way.

As Nana Yaa made her way to the assembly hall, she mused that Tracy had tried to give her courage.

She'd tried to tell her that she had haters, but she had lovers, too. And probably, her lovers may be more than her haters.

She felt the need to call her mother and ask her to send her some money. The first thing she would do if_

"Sup, babe."

She turned to see the presecan who'd made fun of her the other day, Maxwell's friend.

"Hi," she said.

"Herrr..." He made a tour around her. "You sure say you no but maame water or something?"
(Are you sure you're not a mermaid or something?)

"And why?" She laughed.

"The way you dey be no. Herr, you dey be Papa. Your beeness sef dey worry me. Why you fine so?"
(The way you're beautiful. Herr, you're really beautiful. Your beauty alone worries me. Why are you so beautiful?)