10| peek

From where she sat on the small boulder, Nana Yaa saw a fugure approaching her. The figure neared a little more, and Nana Yaa recognized it to be Khadija from Achimota_no, Gey Hey rather.

"What are you doing here alone?" Khadija asked casually as they high-fived.

"Just taking in some fresh air and basking in the silence and solitude." Nana Yaa replied. The woodsy scent was fading rapidly now that someone was here with her, she noticed.

"Good for you. Enjoyment will kill you." Khadija teased.

Nana Yaa grinned. She was liking Khadija's lightness.

"I hope you'll participate in the pending exams," Khadija asked.

"Mmm..." Nana Yaa made a show of pondering over the question. "Sure, yeah."

"With Jessica, I'm sure."

"I guess so. We're the only two science students repping Ahanss." She explained.

"I know. I hope you're working hard towards it."

"Actually, I've not started anything yet. But I look forward to hard work, though."

"Well, I hope you will." Khadija crouched in front of Nana Yaa. "But your mate... Jessica. Haven't you noticed her going wayward? I mean, I only know her from this place, but she's changing since I first met her. I guess that Isobelle bitch is influencing her negatively."

Of course she'd noticed, Nana Yaa mused. But she'd not thought about it.
Take that night they were absent from the dorm.

Besides, Jessica wasn't the type who wasted her time talking unnecessarily, but nowadays she'd caught glimpses of her chit-chatting and giggling with Isobelle, a certain boy, and a bunch of girlies.

For politeness' sake she said, "I think Jess is just trying to mingle. You know, this..."

"I see, I know what you mean." Khadija interrupted. "But that ain't the point. She was learning when that bitch, Isobelle, came to call her that a certain guy called Lovelace was calling her. I know where they are, Nana Yaa..." Catching Nana Yaa's look of disbelief, Khadija said, "if you doubt me, follow me and see for yourself."

As she follwed Khadija, she thought what funny thing it was, to decide to take a peek at someone like that. But she had one of the most shocking moments of her life when Khadija made them stand at a safe distance and crane their necks to catch what was going on behind a tall block ahead of their dorm block.

There was Jessica Aidoo, the buttons of her blouse undone, necking with a certain bare-chested guy Nana Yaa recognized as someone Jessica had always been around lately.

She covered her face with her palms immediately at the sight that met her eyes.

Jessica?

It was as though Khadija felt the raging tide of waves inside her, because she draped a supportive arm around Nana Yaa and led her away to the dormitory.

They never said a word.

***

She took a bath immediately they reached the dorm. After dressing up, she left for the campus, hoping to see Maxwell so they go learn.

Her sleek, silver wrist watch said it was 6:36 P.M, and few people walked around on the campus, so she supposed it would be easy to spot him.

He was so unique he kind of stood out.

Even in a million people, he could be spotted easily. He was one in a million.

Ah, there he is, she thought. He was leaning against the pillar at the main entrance to the assembly hall. She supposed he chose that place so he could have a good view of the campus and call out to her if he spotted her.

She waved. And he smiled at her.

A dazzling smile that melted her brains out.

Fuck. Fuck.

He was gorgeous.