23| Epilogue

Epilogue

There was a roar of joy. Nana Yaa couldn't contain her joy either, like the rest of everyone in the room. She caught Max's eyes from across where she sat with her parents and they both grinned happily at each other as they heard their names being called...

"So we call up Nana Yaa Afrakomaa Frimpomaa from Ahantaman Girls' SHS and Maxwell Fiifi Banks from Presbyterian Boys'  Secondary..."

There was a standing ovation as they arose from their seats with their families, teachers and friends. They felt high and giddy, on top of the world as they made their way to the stage.

"You each have a one-month trip to New York right after your wassce, God-willing." Their West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) was just two months away, anyway. So basically, after two months, they would go on their trip.

"You also have a full-time scholarship each to either Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) or University of Ghana, Legon, to offer any science courses. You are also to be given GH¢ 50,000 each individually and another GH¢ 30,000 each for your schools plus other amenities."

After a long speech of being disciplined and hardworking to achieve success by Mr. Ato Forson, they were presented a large cheque each by Mrs. Jemimah Asamoah, the current Ghana Educational Minister. Confetti fell as cameras flashed their lights wildly at them, and the large crowd of students still stood on their feet, clapping and cheering wildly. The school cloths of Ahanss and Presec-Legon were being waved about wildly from every angle.

They took turns in shaking hands of the board of directors, who muttered encouraging words to them. Then it was time for the two winners to shake hands.

"Congratulations," Nana Yaa said with genuine joy as they firmly shook hands. "Happy I met you."

"Happy I met you, too." Maxwell said, grinning.

Then, before God and everybody, they hugged.

Hard.

***

Checking the notice board later, Max and Nana Yaa found out that a certain Ruby Amponsah came sixth and Jessica came seventh.

Out of 106 students.

At least, Jessica had tried after all.

When Nana Yaa pointed discreetly at Jessica, he quickly remembered the night that same girl had shamelessly thrown herself at him. He hadn't known that she was the girl Nana Yaa always talked about.

"My name is Jessica...but you can call me Jess."

How could he have known? But he said nothing related to that night to Nana Yaa though. He thought it wouldn't be cool to to so.

It was the last day, and everybody was departing.
Nana Yaa watched impatiently as her parents fussed over Max one last time. She knew that in no time Max's family would call him and they would drive away soon.