5| obsession

Jessica checked up on the notice board later. Damn, the rewards for the winners of the exams was mind-blowing. Even Isobelle had made it seem so small compared with what the actual rewards were. The one month trip abroad was true, the full-time scholarship to KNUST or University of Ghana was also true.

But she hadn't mentioned the cash prize of 3,000 Ghana cedis for the winning school and the extra 3,000 for the overall winner alone.

This is wonderful, in fact, too good to be true, she thought as she chose to sit farther away from her partner, Nana Yaa Afrakoma Frimpomaa. She chose about six desks away from her and from where she sat, regarded her with hateful eyes.

She doubted if Nana Yaa knew about the pending exams, and decided no she didn't, else she wouldn't be reading one of those thrilling novels.

Well, she wasn't going to tell her either, at least not now. She would give her a full headstart learning, then tell her later or let her find out by herself at assembly or something. By then, it would be difficult for Nana Yaa to catch up with her. She would beat Nana Yaa. Yes, she would. She always had, right? This wouldn't be any exception.

She smiled contentedly to herself and stretched her legs, crossed them, as the next tutor came for his period.

***

"I don't take friends, Maxwell. I have no friends."

The words shot through him like lightning.

How could anyone survive without friends? He had been too appalled to even ask the reason why she had no friends, didn't take friends.

He'd backed away from her and left, immediately too troubled with her to stay a moment longer. Another second with her, and he would go insane. She is strange, he thought, very strange.

And he didn't like the way he was thinking so much about her. In fact, after seeing her and heading to his hall, he'd met Mr. James, their senior housemaster. He told him that their Headmaster needed him immediately in his office.

As the senior head boy in his school, he had no cause to worry. It could be anything, he'd told himself. But he'd been excited when the Headmaster, Mr. Jonathan Kwesi Ofori Fordjour had told him about the pending exams. He adviced him to work very hard and pay attention to this training because he would represent their school with Jack Hayford. Mr. Ofori Fordjour had told him all the rewards...the trip to New York, the schorlarship, the cash prizes.

This was what he should be thinking about, he said to himself sternly. Not some strange but pretty girl. Well, he had to get over his growing obsession with this strange girl.

Drawing in a determined breath, he pushed his thoughts away and drew out his notebook.

* Hi guys, hope you are fine and having fun. This was a short chapter, yh ikr.
Vote if you liked it. It encourages me to do more.
Thanks!