Chapter 18

That year, all the Potter kids decided to spend the spring break at home. Lily was with her mother, while the two boys were sitting in their living room in the company of their father.

"Dad," James spoke up with determination in his voice. "Can you please tell me how your parents got together?"

Harry let out a tired sigh. "Again, James?"

"Please," he repeated.

"I've told you all I know, but fine. Your grandfather fancied your grandmother for a long time, but he wasn't exactly the nicest –"

"You mean he was a bully," Albus cut in.

"Well, kind of," Harry nodded slowly. "But he changed, and eventually she went out with him, and they fell in love."

"So..." James thought out loud, "even though grandma didn't like him at first, he didn't give up and proceeded to pursue her, then she finally gave him a chance, is that correct?"

"Yes, but –"

"Then I don't get it!" James raised his voice.

Harry frowned. "Get what?"

"I'm trying, but she still hates me!" He ran a hand through his hair frustratedly.

"Who hates you?" His father asked.

"Mia!"

"Mia?" Harry asked back, still confused.

"Yes, Mia Malfoy!" James nodded.

Harry's eyes widened. "Oh... you... fancy her, then?"

"Yeah, but she keeps rejecting me! Me! Everyone likes me!"

"That's not true," Albus commented quietly.

"Well..." Harry shifted uncomfortably, "I'm sure she's a lovely girl."

"She's not!" James glared at the floor. "She's mean, she keeps hurting me."

"She's not mean!" Albus squinted his eyes at his brother. "She's really nice to people she cares about, you're just not one of them."

"Are you?" James asked back angrily.

"She certainly cares more about me than you," he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Whatever," James huffed, turning back to their father. "When is Teddy coming?"

"In about an hour or so," Harry said after checking his watch.

"I'll be in my room," James said, then he stood up and walked out of the living room.

The two of them were silent for a few seconds, then Albus turned to look at Harry.

"Dad... talking about how people got together... you and Mum..."

"What about us?" He asked.

"It's just... she's your best friend's sister and all..." Albus looked down, fidgeting with the end of his jumper's sleeve.

Harry stared at his son in silence for a while, thinking, then sighed and got up from his seat. He walked over to the sofa where Albus was sitting and took a seat next to him.

"I mean," Albus continued quietly, "how did that happen? Wasn't it... you know... weird?"

"You see," Harry smiled softly, "your Mum actually fancied me throughout her first years of school, but I didn't see her like that."

"So what changed?" Albus asked curiously.

"Well... she was always very shy around me, but as the years passed, she got over me and began going out with other guys. Thanks to that, she was able to show me her real self, because she didn't feel nervous anymore, and... after a while, I started seeing her in a different light, I suppose, but it was too late, she was already taken. Plus as you said, she's Ron's sister, so I didn't want to make him mad, even though I really wanted to pursue her. I just couldn't get her out of my head."