18 - Lawliet

Over the course of the last few weeks, Angel and I, shared a lot of affection. The waggling tongues stopped after about a week. But even in our state of happiness I was obligated to console her at lease once a week. That's when her stalker leaves her a rose. He chose his days randomly, never entirely sure when we're to expect his next eerie gift. Last weeks flower took the crown, (when the seriousness of the situation started to settle in). His usual blood smeared 'Tick tock' message had changed into 'Time is almost out.' Only a single white peddle remained untouched. Ever since, I have this ferocious after-taste in the pit of my stomach. I'm just not ready to say goodbye. Angel is under permanent supervision. Been Never alone for a single second_ until now!

I have no other choice-- there's an extremely difficult case that needs my full co-operation. I left the room earlier, so she just had to be safe until Mallo arrives. Hopefully she'll be safe in my chamber. I can't do nothing but hope and believe. At the moment she's safely sleeping. I must be crazy for leaving her alone at a time like this? I won't allow this psycho the last laugh.

In Watari's office I turned on the computers and started with the case at hand. But because I couldn't think clearly_ I packed up after little more than an hour. I'm so worried about my love. Each passing second, feels like our last. Like the reaper will come at any minute and steal her away from me, forever. Before she even had a chance to live. We're supposed to be together for as long as we shall live. We're to make a vow and start a family of our own_ but all of this negativity isn't helping my case. I excused myself from the room and rushed upstairs. Something is wrong!

Error. Error.. Error... A feeling of death hung in the air. A chilly sensation is crawling down my spine. Oh. Please, God? No! Let no harm come to my love? Take me instead! Vash came a-running from around the corner in a rush. His pale expression answered the question that I feared the most. I let the case files fall to the ground and sprinted forward.

                               ***

Chloe Ryuzaki

Long cold bony fingers danced across the nape of my back, where the covers didn't reach. The bed beside me empty. Where my love should have been asleep, only an envelope decorated his pillow. I cocooned myself in the folds of the silk before I sat up straight and reached over to take the envelope. Carefully I opened it, took out the note and read:

I have a case that needs my attention. I'll try making it as quickly as possible, but until then be safe? I love you with my entire heart. You are my life_ miss you already...
Yours truly-- L.

I breathed in his odor that was still clinging to the letter. Grinning to myself like a fool. I stood up with the thin flimsy material still wrapped around my body. The chiffon's like silk to my nakedness. I put my knee-length, leopard print dress on; bare foot as usually. After I've brushed the nods out of my hair, I let the loose ends sway across my back. I twirled in front of the mirror. I replied on his note and sealed it with a red lip stain. More than often I rewarded him with a love letter. Today's contained mostly the same, just in a different manner. Just as I finished, a knock echoed throughout the room. I guess that's Mells, the thought crept up as I jolted swiftly towards the door and opened it.

Realization appeared upon my face as red eyes stared back at me. An uncanny void strucked my abdomen; at a sickening force, as a blade sliced through my skin. Rue looked at me as a creepy smile crossed his lips. Quickly he removed it, just so that he could force the blade in for a second time. I gave a wet cough, blood spurted from my mouth. My hands covered the wound that his blade inflicted upon me. Blood seeping through my fingers. I stumbled into the hall, trying to get away from him; but he followed me. Laughing like a mad man, “Run, run, run_ as fast as you can!” Like a reddish anthem leaf I fell silently to the ground, as tears streamed down my face. Somewhere along the line I must have lost consciousness. As I regained awareness, Mello were kneeling down beside me. His hands firmly pressed down onto the wound. He seems to be crying. “An ambulance is on the way,” I faintly heard Near's panicked tone. My eyes closed, as I couldn't keep them open. Mello shook me awkwardly as he tried to contain pressure to the wound in my abdomen. “Open your eyes Angel! Come on Chloe, you're not going to quit on me? Vash went to fetch L and Watari. An ambulance is on its way as I speak!” Mello said as his salty liquid dripped on to my cheeks. “I... I'm_ S-s-so c-c-cold,” I spat out through rattling teeth, as I closed my eyes once again. “No, no, no, no_ open your eyes; my love,” I faintly heard L's pleading voice. L sat down beside me and laid my head down on his lab. Slowly I opened my eyes, but black spots were blocking out my vision, where his face were to be. Begging me to hold on tight. There's no pain only numbness. A cold hollow in my abdomen, followed by nothing!

                               ***

Lawliet

I stared at the scene in horror, after I've wormed myself through the crowd of bystanders. Mello were beside her, his blood smeared hands covering her abdomen. The carpet beneath her, already, limp body is dressed in blood. I pleaded as I sunk down beside her and lifted her head into my lab. Stroking her hair gently. I begged her to hold on tight as my eyes turned blurry. I couldn't keep my tears from escaping, and just like that_ it was all over. I heard how her last breath escaped her lungs. It blew over me in a warm gasp. A few seconds, to late, Watari and Roger entered the corridor in unison. I was cradling her limp body in my arms. A few bystanders were staring at the scene in awe, as hands flew up to cover their mouths. While others were silently crying. Watari walked over towards me, gently grabbing me by the arm, “Come on, she's gone.” His words hit me like a concrete floor. I snatched my arm out of his firm grip. “No! Leave us be_ she'll wake up. She just needs a little time...” I cried as I said this, knowing that she's gone. Knowing full well that she's not about to come back to me. “Sorry, this is all my fault. I'm so sorry for leaving you alone. If only I had stayed with you,” I screeched in dismay. My eyes glassy.

Two unfamiliar faces came towards me with a stretcher. By their uniforms I could clearly identify them as local paramedics. One gently leads me by the hand. I watched in dismay how a few bystanders helped, by moving her body towards the stretcher. I haven't noticed the five scarlet roses before her body had been moved.  The roses were randomly scattered around her body. They removed her in a body bag, and just like that she vanished into thin air.

I went into my room and locked the door behind me. Her perfumed body were still printed into the folds of the covers. The room neat and tidy, but much to quiet to comprehend. Yesterday's clothes were folded and placed at the edge of my bed. On the dressing table were a letter, sealed with a kiss. I unfolded it and read:

'Life isn't chocolates,'
Isn't that what people say
And for every rose that vanish
A friendship goes astray.
But what can you do,
When your heart is a cupcake?
When cupid's arrow
Is worth every take?
What am I to do?
If the thorns don't prick me
dancing on my ears
singing in the shower, being free!

Is it just my foolish doing
Another story (untold)
To share in our time of old age
In all its glory (unfold)
A tale filled with heartache and pain
That'll never fail to grow
Or snapshots from pastime
That'll shine in shades of a rainbow.
Indeed, life ain't no chocolates
And it's not always rich enough
Or equivalent to one million kisses
Of a truly magnificent love.

P.S Meet me by the fountain, at sunset. There's something that I need to tell you.

Yours forever_ Angel.

I refolded it and I couldn't help myself as tears overflown. Knowing that I will never know what she were to tell me at sunset. That night_ I became an insomniac. No matter how hard I try, I just couldn't get the odor of her last breath out of my memory.