Chapter Five

IT'S ONLY BEEN an hour, but it feels like a decade, considering all the shops Josh has taken me to. Other than that, though, I guess it's been pretty good, being with Josh and all―he's a real gentlemen. He even went out of his way to get me a Rutgers key chain, which he didn't need to, and, even though, it was a small (gentleman) act, it felt genuine. 

"Okay, that's it, I'm done," I announce. "My legs are cramping!"

"Aw! Why do you gotta be such a party pooper, Advika? We just started!" 

"Yeah, an hour ago," I note.

"Wow! Really?" Josh takes some time to acknowledge that. I nod my head. "Alright, fine. I know this really good Froyo place that's in this complex."

"Thank you," I thank, following him to the Froyo place. He looks back at me with a smile, encasing his dimples, sending butterflies in my stomach.

"No problem." 

         ***

A FEW MINUTES later we end up at the Froyo place, and as soon as I sit down, my legs stop aching. "Ah!" I relax back in the chair, the cushion engulfing me.

"Feeling relaxed?" Josh asks. I nod my head. "Wait till you taste the Froyo here―it will make you even more relaxed, and possibly energized."

"Hey! I heard that!" I scold.

"What? You'll need the energy for the next two to three hours."

My eyes widen. "Three hours?" 

"I said 'two to three' hours," he explicitly states.

I heave a sigh. "That's still a lot!"

"If you think of it like that, then yeah, it will," he says, shifting his view to the Froyo station. "C'mon it's our turn now."

"But I just sat down!" I whine.

"And I've been standing here the whole time, holding down our position. What's your point?"

"Fine," I groan, letting out an intentional loud sigh. Josh chuckles. I look at him with scowl. "What's so funny?"

"Your sigh," he comments.

"Shut up," I playfully push him, causing him to push me. "Hey!" I scold. "You went too far with that one!" I get a grip of the counter, adjusting back to my normal position.

"And you didn't?" Josh raises an eyebrow, which I fold my hands at. "Fine, I'm sorry." My eyes widen, in shock of receiving an apology from Josh―the boy who I had a crush on in Sophomore year, and might have currently, who barely paid attention to me.

"I-I guess I'm sorry too." 

He smiles at me. "You're excused, just don't do it next time." I can't help, but smile at his comment. "C'mon let's pick out our flavors and sprinkle them with our choice of toppings." He takes two cups from the Froyo station, handing one to me. "Now, you just press this down and it'll swirl in the cup. The flavors are labeled above."

"You do know I know how to operate a Froyo station, right?"

He side-eyes me. "Oh, sorry, I thought you didn't."

"Right," I comment, filling my cup up with the caramel flavored froyo. 

"Oh, c'mon! I was just teasing you, Advika."

"And now you know I don't like to be teased."

"Why's that?" Josh asks, coming from behind me.

"Because," I take my cup from underneath the Froyo swirler, "it makes me feel..."

"Inferior?" Josh advises.

"No," I snark, shifting my weight onto my left leg. "Yes."

"That's okay," Josh's voice softens, "and I'll make sure not to tease you next time. Sorry."

"It's okay. I just, you know," I say, hoping he'll understand. 

"Yeah, there are just some things people don't feel comfortable with―and I understand that."

"Thank you," I look at Josh with a smile, "really." 

He nods his head. "So, do you wanna choose some toppings, now?"

"Right. I totally forgot about that!" I giggle.

"You can always go without toppings, but I prefer having some toppings―especially sprinkles," Josh says, walking over to the topping station.

"Me too!" I surprise myself by enthusiastically saying. Josh looks at me, and I blush. "I-I mean, I like sprinkles too."

"Really?" he asks, and I nod my head. "A lot of my friends don't like sprinkles, so, it's cool that you do." 

"Yeah, well, there's a first thing for everything, right?" I say, recalling Josh saying that yesterday.

Upon hearing this, Josh smiles. "You're a very good listener, you know that?"

"I guess I do now," I say. In between our conversation, I can't help, but hear how cringy our conversation sounds. Never in a million years did I think I would be having a conversation, like this, especially with Josh.

"Uh excuse me," someone says, tapping my shoulder, "you two are holding up the line, so could you please hurry up?"

"Alright, relax," Josh snarks before I can apologize for holding up the line. 

"Excuse me?" the person, who now seems to be like a girl.

"Josh!" I scold, turning around. "We are so sorry, let us just get these toppings and we'll go."

"Yeah, we―Sophie?" Josh says in a mid-way turn.

"Josh?" The girl, who I'm now assuming is Sophie, says as she adjusts her outfit. "W- What are you doing here? And, who's this?" she side-eyes me. "Your sister?"

"She's my friend, thank you very much. The real question is, though, what are you doing here?"

"Can the outfit make it anymore obvious?" she points to her apron. "I work here!"

"I see your father finally made you earn for your own things."

"It was time, anyways," Sophie, surprisingly, comments. "So, I guess, you two have fun on your date. Although you can do much better, Josh. By the way, I miss you!"

"For your information, she's far better than you, and we're just friends."

I watch her walk away, her long brown hair swaying back and forth. "I don't think she heard that," I pipe. Josh looks down with a sigh.

"Yeah. It's whatever."

"How'd you, uh, even know her?" I say, following him to the cashier.

"I just know her from a friend. She was my friend's sister."

"Was?" I almost feel like asking, and suddenly a pit forms in my stomach. "So, you guys used to date... or something?"

"No, not like that," he chuckles. "We were just friends―nothing more, nothing less." Something churns in my stomach as I digest that information. Maybe Josh is right―maybe I am jealous of the girl from yesterday and Sophie because, maybe, just maybe, I still do love him.

Just when I thought all my feelings for him were put aside, they kept on creeping up to me, but does he love me is the question.