Chapter Sixteen

"you write rlly gr8 stories, u know that?"

THE WHOLE TIME I ran from the party, I had no idea where I was going and, yet, here I am in the middle of nowhere, finally coming to my senses. I stop to catch my breath before sitting on the bench to my right and let out the tears that have been held back while I've been running. As I sit down, I let my thoughts speak out. "I just don't know why I always need to fall in love with assholes, it's like my nature," I speak out, "but I hope, you know now, Advika, not to fall in love with anyone again."

"I wouldn't exactly say that," a deep voice says, stepping into the light produced by the street light.

I wipe my tears, getting up from the bench. "Whatever Josh."

"Advika, wait," he starts, but I'm already running. I can't bare to face him; especially with a face full of tears. I can hear his footsteps approach me, and I realize it isn't that big of a deal to run for him since he's on the Track & Field team. "ConfidentGirl―"

"Don't," I say, turning around, "finish that sentence."

He smiles a little before inspecting my dry tears. "Advika, I-I'm sorry you had to see that, but I swear to God we weren't doing―"

"Then what were you doing?" I ask, my question coming out as a shout.

"I deserved that," he mumbles before turning solemn. "We were," he takes a deep breath, "Sophie showed up at the party, unexpectedly, and found out about something...I was meaning to be kept p-private, and, well, I didn't want to cause a scene―"

"So you took her to a room?" I finish with a raised eyebrow, and he nods his head. "What part of that do you think I believe."

"Advika," he starts, "I-I want to tell you everything, I really do, but..."

"It's hard to," I finish. When he doesn't respond, I continue. "Tell me this, why did you even come to the party, any―"

"I want to show you something," Josh commands. Without even waiting for my response, he tightly secures his arm around mine.

"Ow! Josh, what the hell? You're hurting me!" I groan in pain.

At this, he looks back and wrinkles his eyebrows. "No, I'm not?" he studies me. "Wait―am I?" His grasp loosens a little, and I take that opportunity to free my hand. He looks at me, as he realizes my whole 'plan' all along, and sighs. "Seriously, Advika? You're just gonna leave?"

"Well duh! What'd you expect I'd do after I found out my crush from Sophomore year never liked me?" As soon as the words slip, I close my mouth, but it's too late.

"Y- You like me?" Josh asks, walking up to me. I gulp.

"Well, I-I liked you, but I don't like you anymore, b-but that doesn't matter," I add, as he takes another step towards me.

"Then, what does matter?"

"What matters? I-Is that..." My words fall short as I take in his features, which the sun, most 'kindly', takes the advantage of showing. He raises an eyebrow, challenging me. "Ever since I had a crush on you, I couldn't take my mind off of you, and I compared myself to you endlessly. Your metabolism, your weight, your height, your ha―I-I mean, friends, and, well, when Sophomore year ended, I realized I never stood a chance to be with you, which, by the way, you made very clear by hooking up with Sophie," I finish, letting out a breath of relief. That was a lot to vent out!

"We didn't hook up," Josh states sternly, and then he sighs. "S- She knew about my brother; I-I was going to take you to the bridge where h-he―" Tears start rolling his face, and I rush to his aid, comforting him. "He's not dead," he says, looking into his eyes, "but I'm glad you, uh, hugged me like that." I depart from the hug, awkwardly.

"Well, I'm glad that he's very well alive."

He, meekly, smiles and I can't help, but feel bad for him. "S-She, somehow, came to know about his attempt w-with the bridge a-and all. So, I didn't," he pauses, "I didn't want to create a big scene when she threatened to blackmail me with it, so, I took her into the room."

"She what?" I scream out ballasticly, and he chuckles. "Where is that bitch?"

He ignores my threats, by saying: "So you like me, huh?"

My cheeks turn red. "I-I mean I don't know, I, uh, you're hot, that's for sure."

"So is that a yes?" He bites his lip, and a drop of sweat lands on my cheek.

"It depends―d-do you like me?" He wastes no time to answer that, running towards to me, so, that he can put his lips, and this time: our lips do touch. "Wow," I say, in between, "I didn't know how much of a good kisser you are."

"I've been practicing," he comments.

I push him away. "Ew, with who?"

He smirks. "My pillow." I breathe a sigh of relief, and he chuckles. "You really thought I would cheat on you?" he asks, starting for my neck.

"No, I just, we a-aren't even dating!" I note as I touch his brown hair―it feels light and soft. He stops kissing my neck, which, I have to admit kind of bums me.

"W- We should probably go."

"Why?" He signifies the sky, but I have a feeling it's something more than that.