Chapter Eight

SUPRISINGLY, THE WAIT for the Biryani takes longer than expected, which, I guess, I should've anticipated, considering the amount of people here. It's crazy because when I came here with my family, we were the only ones, but I guess since college basically just started, more people are coming, which is good for their business, but not for my anxiety. Oh, why couldn't Emma have come with me? I still don't see her problem. Shifting my weight onto my left leg, I decide to be interested in my phone and check up on any updates on my story in Wattpad. 

Unfortunately, my story hasn't got that many notices in the past three hours, and with that in mind, I shove it back in my pocket, lingering over the menu items on the board, even though I already ordered. "Hey," someone shouts across the room. My eyes shift to another menu full of drinks when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around, just as the person asks: "You're Josh's girl, aren't you?"

"What?" I burst out. 

The boy doesn't seem disturbed by my comment. "Is it true you guys are dating, then?"

"No, I―"

"Have you slept with each other, then?" 

"Excuse me, but who the hell do you think you're talking to?" I say, finally finding the words.

The boy seems taken aback. "So, you guys aren't dating then?"

"No," I state firmly. "In fact, I don't even know where the hell he is. He just shows up, and leaves instantly―it's like he's trying to ignore me."

"So, he hasn't shown up to your guys' dorm room since..."

"Today," I respond, "well not really today." The boy's eyebrows scrunch. "He saw this girl, named Sophie, I think, who he's had history with, and the next thing, you know, he's leaving." I start having a breakdown. "I-I just don't know if he's ignoring me, o- or."

"He's not." The guy places his hands on my shoulder, making my skin cold. 

"And, how would you know that?" I say, wiping a tear.

"Because," he sighs, "we used to be friends and..."

"And?" I articulate.

"I fucked up, but not's that the point," he reiterates. "He's not avoiding you, he's avoiding his past―me." 

"But why would he be avoiding you?"

"Advika!" Emma's voice rings throughout the shop, intruding our conversation. I turn to her instantly, in shock. I thought she was staying inside the car. "Matt?" Her face, instantly, turns white, and she looks at me. "A-Advika, d-do you―"

"Advika Kondiela!" One of the workers calls out. My cheeks turn bright red from the embarrassment of my full name, and I quickly rush over to worker, murmuring a quick thanks before―literally―running out of the door, not even bothering to look back because what does it matter? It feels like everything been a set-up lately. First Sophie, then Emma, and then Matt.

What's next―my love for Josh?