Chapter 4: Tipping Point

(Alex POV)

Another day another couple miles we got to walk. It has been hours since me and the rest of team RNNJR had left Higanbana to continue moving towards Haven. I was looking around feeling a bit nervous wondering if anything or anyone was watching me. Ever since I heard Qrow and Raven talk last night I have been a bit uneasy.

I hadn't told the others about this though so they wouldn't know Qrow was watching over us and because they didn't know I lied to them about what happened last night. Luckily for me Ruby and the others bought my lie about me shopping last night when I came back with a bit of food and drinks.

"Alex are you okay?" Ruby asked. Not expecting her to speak I jumped back a bit screaming making the others stop to look at us. "Alex are you okay? You don't look well?" Jaune asked. I took a breath and stood up straight acting as casual as I could be. "Yeah I am fine... guess I am just a little jumpy today." I said. "My gosh you are crazy." Nora said.

The other continued walking forward with me sighing in relief until I felt someone touching my hand. I looked to see Ruby who brought me closer to her as we walked with the others. Ruby looked at the others to make sure they weren't looking at us then looked back at me. "Alex are you sure you are okay? You have been acting weird the past couple of days." Ruby whispered. "Yeah I am fine, it's just certain stuff happened recently making me feel a little on edge." I whispered.

"What stuff? Shion? You know you can talk with me right?" Ruby asked, frowning a little bit. Oh Ruby, please no, not the sad face. I hate seeing her frown, but I can't tell her not yet at least. "Look Ruby, I can't really explain it yet. But something is happening that I can't tell you." I said.

"Why, if it is important shouldn't you tell me? I tell you everything." Ruby said, frowning more. Oh this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to face. And I faced a Maiden, psychopaths, and assassins for crying out loud! "Look I will explain it later, but please trust me." I said. "It's kinda hard to do that when you don't give me much to trust you with." Ruby said.

I sighed and walked forward unable to look at her more without feeling compelled to tell her the truth. "Another day, another adventure!" Nora said. "What's on the agenda today?" Ruby asked. "Walking!" Jaune said looking at the map. "With a side of...?" Nora asked. "Walking." Ren said. "So basically every day." I said. "Yep." Jaune said.

I hear Ruby sigh, making me look at her looking at the ground as she continues to walk. "Haven is a lot farther away than I thought." Ruby said. "Ruby? How long did you think this journey was going to take?" Ren asked. "I don't know! I grew up in a small area; I've never been this far away from home!" Ruby said. "Yeah because you live on an island and you have lived in Vale all your life." I said pointing out the obvious.

"Right but... how long?" Jaune asked. "Maybe like, uh... two weeks?" Ruby asked. Jaune then looks up from the map to glare at Ruby. "What?!" Jaune asked. "Okay, fine! Three or something!" Ruby said, a bit loud. "You never really pay much attention in geography back at Signal now that I think about." I said putting a finger on my chin reminiscing of those days.

Ruby then looks my direction with a bit of an angered look. "Huh how is learning about sea and land helpful in slicing a Griffin's head off?" Ruby asked, sounding a bit irritated, making me walk away a bit.

I walked closer to Nora as I saw Ruby's expression seem to simmer down to an apologetic look then looked forward. "What was that about?" Nora asked. "I'd rather not talk about it." I said. After a bit more walking we look ahead to see what looked like a village. Nora then begins to run faster and then jumps onto a slightly fallen post of a fence to get a closer look at a wall and building ahead.