Choices (23)

"What?" Did I hear him right? "What was that?"

"There's not going to be another night," he explained sadly "Tonight is going to be our last night together."

Last night together? What was that supposed to mean?

I managed a small smile.

"I thought you were breaking up with me."

"I might as well be."

"What?!"

I leapt out of the bed and whirled around to face him, not caring that I was half naked.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded to know.

"Tomorrow ... I kill Dumbledore. Once I do it, I leave," he explained. He was trying to hide the regret in his voice but I knew him too well now.

I gulped "I rather you break up with me." At least I'd get a chance to see him unharmed every day, even if it meant that he wasn't mine.

"I might as well be," he repeated.

"Well can't you-,"

"No, I can't take you with me," he interrupted. His face was now hard and determined. "I'm not going to put you in that kind of danger."

"It's my choice," I pointed out furiously "I'm choosing to put myself in danger."

"No!" Draco jumped out of bed and grabbed my shoulders. "I'm not going to let you do that."

"Why not?" I pushed his hands off me angrily. Didn't he want to be with me?

"He will kill you!" Draco yelled. I didn't have to ask who he meant. It was obvious by the tears glistening in his eyes that he was desperately trying to blink away. "And I love you too much to live without you."

"You don't have to go," I cried desperately "You don't have to kill him. We can just run away together."

"And let him kill my whole family?" he asked bitterly "I have to do it."

"Well it looks like you're going to have to make a choice Draco," I said softly what I knew we were both thinking.

We both stood there in silence, just looking into each other's eyes. He looked unsure of who to pick and I felt worried.

PICK ME! CHOOSE ME! LOVE ME!

My mind screamed at him and for once I wished he could read my thoughts.

"I...I don't know," he said finally.

I could feel tears slowly pooling in my eyes when he said this. He didn't love me enough to be able to make a decision.

"Well then I guess I better go," I said softly.

I grabbed my clothes and turned to head out the door. I paused before walking out, hoping that he would stop me from leaving.

He didn't.

As I closed the door behind me, all I could feel was my heart being smashed into little pieces.

--

I don't know how I made it to the common room. My eyes were blinded with tears and everything was a great big blur. Thankfully there was no one around when I stumbled into the common room. It was pitch black since everyone had gone off to bed.

I sank to the floor, leant against the portrait and sobbed my heart out. Big fat tears cascaded down my face and landed onto the hem of my shirt. Pretty soon, it was soaked. I tried to muffle the sound of my cries with my jumper, wishing that the thick wool would just strangle me so I would stop being in pain.