Love is patient

It had already been past 9 by the time you had familiarised yourself with almost all the guests. They were very welcoming and social, most probably due to them being under the gaze of the Governor. It had been apparent to everyone that he had taken quite the liking to you. You were sure no one would try to get on your bad side unless they were fools.

Half of the guests had retired to their homes so you decided to head home as well. No point in staying longer. You excused yourself, saying your goodnights to the Governor and the rest of the guests and walked out waiting on your coachmen to take you away.

When you got home, you were surprised to see your home all cleaned up. "You're back earlier than expected" the head maid said when she saw you. "Is there any reason to be the last ones to leave?" you asked taking off your shoes. "None, unless you are specifically asked to" she says and takes the shoes off your hands. "you really cleaned up the house pretty well. It almost looks new" you said as you brushed your hands against the new wardrobe. "the Governor's order. We're going to be inspected tomorrow so it had to be done today" the maid further replied. "The Governor will be visiting tomorrow?" you asked. "Lieutenant Norrington actually" she answered.

"Oh, I danced with him. He was very friendly" You say while heading to your room. "Well, he's strict with his duties. So he won't overlook any kind of mistakes from our part" she said as she followed you in storing your shoes in a box. "I saw what you all did to the house. It's almost unrecognisable, I thought I walked into someone else's house but then I saw you" you sung the last part with a wide smile. The maid smiles back and slowly shook her head, "I'm assuming you had quite the night" you hummed, looking at yourself in the mirror. As the maid helped you with your hair you started, "It was just perfect! The Governor made sure I was comfortable the whole night, which I really appreciated and in turn everyone treated me like royalty. I'm no jester but they laughed at my jokes like their heads should be cut off if they hadn't made a sound. And the men, I don't even know where to begin. Flocking around me like pigeons, it was quite amusing really and James, he never missed a beat to come to my rescue-" you stopped yourself as you saw your maid's grinning reflection on the mirror. "What?" You asked "Isn't it a bit early to be on a first name basis with the lieutenant?" She mused. You realised your mistake and covered your mouth in embarrassment.

"Shall I help you with dress Ma'am?" She asked standing in the corner waiting for further instructions. With a rough cough you cleared your throat and shook your head, "I'll manage myself, thank you. You can retire now... Please.." you muttered the last bit under your breath and the maid nodded in understanding. "Have a goodnight ma'am" and with that she closed the door leaving you all by yourself. You started undressing as you thought about today's events. "Now I truly understand why my father always told me to hide my face " You start "a woman's face can be distracting" you touched your face looking at yourself. Your mother was very beautiful too. Her looks were bewitching. "and thats why she died" you told yourself. You blew the candle beside you bed and went to sleep.

---

The next day, the head maid woke you up informing you of Norrington's arrival. You were half awake and not thinking straight when you got up and walked downstairs to meet him.

"Good morning Miss-" before he could finish he quickly turned away. You suspiciously eyed him until you realised what you were wearing. You were still in your night gown.
You frantically looked for your dress but it was not in its usual place. "oh dear!" you said to yourself. Gaining the attention of some of the maids who also widen their eyes at your sight.

They quickly stood in front of you hiding your form."I'm soo sorry. I'll be dressed in a moment" You went back inside your room and wore your everyday attire. A shirt and pants. You then walked out and saw Lieutenant Norrington. "I'm so sorry for this morning. I... I got up too quickly and the dizziness hit me" you explained as you walked past him. "It was shocking but a pleasant morning view nonetheless." he smiled at you with red cheeks. You returned the smile 'what a pervert'. He seemed nice enough to not have made it a big deal. "Well lieutenant I'll leave you to it then shall I?" you asked, gesturing at his inspection duty. "Hmm? Oh of course."