Promotion and a familiar face

It's been three years since you've lived on the island. You expected today to be as normal as any other day but it wasn't. You were getting ready to attend Norrington's promotion ceremony.

Within the three years you and Norrington had become distant. He understood your reluctance as a sign of complete rejection and decided he was done bothering you. You stomach fell when the governor invited you to come to the ceremony. You didn't want to seem rude or show the norrington's name had any effect on you. You had ever right to refuse the hand of any man but you felt guilty for leading him on.

You rode your carriage towards the Castle. The sun shined brightly as usual. When you arrived at the Castle, you noticed more guards than usual. You arrived late as always. Even though you had been in the island for awhile, the guards still fumbled at the sight of you.

They knew you were out of their leagues and you were also rumoured to be the fancy of the Governor, explaining why he was soo kind to you. You didn't mind those rumors though, because of it, people were nicer to you.

As you entered the courtyard you are quickly dragged over by Elizabeth who had been hiding behind a pillar. "I thought you weren't coming" she whispered. "are you joking? I wouldn't miss this day for anything." you replied.

Looking over to the ceremony. You saw Norrington, and several of the crew.

Groves was over with a bunch of other officers

Groves was over with a bunch of other officers. During the ceremony Elizabeth whispers into your ears. "Norrington is going to propose to me after the ceremony" she said grimly.

You immediately congratulated her. Elizabeth thought you would be upset with the news since she assumed you liked Norrington. She hoped this would push you into pursuing him thus, saving her from marriage. You watched the ceremony. Deep in thoughts.
You were happy he finally moved one from you. But you were a little sad too. 'I really thought he'd be the man to win my heart one day...whilst I'm glad he moved on. I'm no good for any man'

After the ceremony Norrington walked towards you and Elizabeth.
"Miss Lorve. You came." he said staring at you. "of course. It's a big day for you. Commodore Norrington." you said. "Yes it is." he looked like he had a lot on his mind.

Like a childhood instinct you were about to reach out a caress his cheek when he turned away from you and asked to speak privately with Elizabeth. You nodded and they left to talk. You watched them walk away with a slight ping in your heart. Just then Groves runs to you. "Miss Lorve" he takes a breath. "Hello Lieutenant Groves. Congratulations on the promotion." you said.

Groves smiled and took your hand. "I know this is a bit sudden but I wanted to-" before he could finish his sentence you stopped him. You looked at the place where Norrington and Elizabeth were talking and saw her figure lean off the edge"Elizabeth!" you screamed running towards her but you were too late. As you stood where she once did and she had fallen down the cliff. Fortunately she fell away from the rocks.