Saved him again

You enter the cabin where Elizabeth was and you find her sitting in one of the chairs. Her hands are shaking and her face is pale. You sit next to her, trying to gather your thoughts.

"Y/n? Are you alright?" she asks.
"I'm alright. I'm happy you're safe and nothing bad happened to you in that ship I hope."
She shook her head, "nothing happened" she replied looking at her hands.

She suddenly pulled you in for a hug, resting her head on your shoulder. "thank you for coming after me" she whispers tearing up.

Sensing she needed company you put an arm around her and she leans into your side while you think about the events that just happened.

"we'll make it home safely. I'll make sure of that." you say.

"I know you will" she says and sniffles.

You take out a handkerchief and handed it to her which she accepted, blowing her nose.

You sit with her for a few minutes until Will comes down to the cabin and you take it as a signal to leave them for a moment.

"I'll go check on the sails."

Nice excuse. You thought. Slapping yourself in your head.

Will nods at you as you leave the room. You go up on deck and take in the view. It's a foggy night. Cold and damp. But you liked this weather.

Gibbs approached you, looking at you with a slight glare "I didn't want to believe when I first saw you.. " he mumbled.

You looked at him, "Believe what?"
He sighed and looked up at the sails trying to remember that day.

"You look just like her"

Your mouth becomes dry, could he mean? Could he know....But you are certain that your father was the only human who knew about her. At least that's what he told you.

"your bright eyes... They were the same ones I saw in that young mermaid's "

You sighed, glad yet dissapointed that he didn't know your mother.

"You were the one that helped that boy towards the ship a long time back."

You think for a second, then realize who he was talking about.

You look out to the blackness of the ocean.

You nod slowly, "I was."

Gibbs nods as if now satisfied. "You need to be very careful girl. I'd say you were lucky I was the only one who had seen you. If it were any other sailor or pirate...." he stopped himself when you turned away, not wanting to listen anymore.

"I know. What would happen.... I've seen it." you mumbled leaning on the railings with your arms folded.

Gibbs gives you a sympathetic look and pats your shoulder, "I'm sorry. I knew your father... I was the one who suggested he leave you at Port Royal."

You try not to show any feeling. After a moment you turn to him. "Thank you.... It must have been a hard decision for my father, but I don't hate him for it. And I shall not hate you either. It was the right thing to do, to keep me safe"

Gibbs nods "I'm glad you understand. Your father wanted to keep you away from the sea. And hoped you'd settle down.... But here you are." he jokes.

You smile back at him, "yet here I am" you repeated playfully.

"You could live a grand life if you had stayed there and married into a well family." he points out.

"I know but, I was born here and will die here too, my heart is with the sea."