I.

Taking a deep breath, you glance in the mirror by your front door

Today is the big day.

You check your reflection, making sure every piece is in its proper place. Your white, floral blouse is tucked into a pair of black, high-waist dress pants. Your gun sits on your hip. Your hair is framed around your face, ending just above your shoulders. A hint of mascara covers your lashes, your lips tinted a light pink. Nodding to yourself, you slip your feet into a pair of black heels before grabbing your purse and keys, heading out the door.

The ride on the metro is busy, the city starting to wake up at 7:30 AM. You stare out the window, watching the dark walls of the tunnels beneath Washington, D.C. fly by. You clutch the coffee in your hand, having stopped by the little coffee shop right by your metro stop, ordering your usual. You take a sip, fingers tapping on the leather of your purse.

Calm down. It's just a job.

Inhaling deeply, you try to curb your nerves as the metro stops. You stand, making your way off the train and up the steps to the surface, your figure getting lost in the busy streets of D.C. You make your way toward a large building, stopping in front of it, admiring it with awe.

FBI Headquarters.

A wide smile crosses your face, your heartbeat picking up in your chest. Gripping your coffee, you dig around in your purse until you find your FBI badge. Squealing internally, you swipe your card in front of the large glass door, hearing the little beep that grants you access. You pull open the door, your heels clacking against the tile floor as you walk into the building. You clip the badge onto the collar of your shirt, grinning like a kid in a candy store.

You stop once you're inside, staring in awe at the hustle of headquarters. Men and women in suits, carrying briefcases, case files, phones pressed to their ears, all make their way through the ground floor. Your eyes rake across the room until you see the elevator. You hurriedly cross the room to the elevator, pressing the up button and waiting.

"The BAU is on floor six—the building is big, so I won't blame you if you get lost."

The elevator dings and you step inside, pressing the number 6 and waiting for the doors to close. A couple of other people are in the elevator, stepping off on different floors. You take a sip of your coffee, nerves building inside of you as the elevator dings once again, opening its metal doors to reveal the sixth floor of headquarters.

Your head whips to the right, then to the left, trying to look for the doors to the Behavioral Analysis Unit. Your eyes land on the wall in front of you, full of pictures of fallen agents. You walk over to it, eyes raking across the pictures.

"Did you lose someone?"

Your body turns to find a black man in front of you, his hair closely shaved to his head. He gives you a once over before his eyes return to your face, his lips turned up a little at the corners.