XX.

warnings: public sex (kinda but no one can see or hear them so)

"How do we not have a single freakin' lead in two days?" You sigh, sitting back in your chair

"It's like the unsub is just...a ghost," Prentiss says, shaking her head.

You tap your fingers on the wooden table, leg shaking as you think. The team had been in LA for two days—and nothing. No leads. No connections in victimology. Nothing. Your eyes flick up to Spencer, watching him stare intently at the map, his on his chin, fingers lightly tapping at his jaw.

You stand, exhaling in frustration as you make your way through the police station to where the coffee is. You grab a cardboard cup, filling it to the brim with the dark liquid, slapping a few sugars in it before stirring. You take a sip, letting the familiar, albeit shitty, taste of police station coffee calm you down for a moment.

"It's frustrating me, too, Ace."

You turn your head, watching Spencer grab a cup. He pours his coffee, then adds an ungodly amount of sugar, then stirs before bringing the cup to his lips. He leans against the table, giving you a small smile.

"I just don't understand what we're missing." You blow on your coffee, trying to cool it down a little.

"I think the whole team is frustrated," Spencer assures.

"I swear, I think it has to be in the geographical profile," you say sternly. "There's just...something fishy. It's such a specific area."

"Come on," he says, grabbing your hand and squeezing for a moment before letting go. "Let's go look, then."

The two of you walk back into the room, and you walk over to the map, looking at the little pushpins pushed into the corkboard. Your eyes scan the circle, shaking your head.

"There has to be a reason the unsub operates in this specific area," you say, motioning to the area where the victims were found. "We just need the why."

"I just think it's weird that the unsub never comes back to revisit his crimes," Morgan states, leaning back in his chair. "Usually an unsub of this sort wants to see the bodies one more time."

Spencer opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by the sheriff walking into the room, a grim expression on his face.

"What is it?" Hotch asks, his voice low.

"There's another body," the sheriff says.

You exhale in frustration, hitting the map dejectedly. You turn to Hotch, shaking your head. "Do you want Reid and I to go examine the body?" It feels weird calling your boyfriend by his last name, but the two of you wanted to remain somewhat professional in the field.

Hotch nods. "Sure. Call me if you have anything. This murder is closer together than the last ones—he's devolving."

You nod, fishing the SUV keys out of your pocket as you and Spencer head out of the precinct. Tossing Spencer the keys, he clumsily catches them, and you giggle, opening the passenger seat door. He climbs inside and you buckle your seatbelt.