III.

"Spencer, you can't just come over and not help me study

"Spencer, you can't just come over and not help me study. I'm drowning in neuroscience and you're an actual genius."

Spencer laughs, shutting his book and putting it to the side. He shifts his position to sit criss cross. "Fine. I don't' know why you need my help though—you're smart, too."

You lean forward on your elbows, setting them on the inside of your thighs. "Please? Be a nerd and help me. You might be a year younger than me but you're still smarter."

"Fine," Spencer says, leaning forward a bit, mirroring your position. "Medulla."

"Controls the heartbeat and breathing," you respond.

"Cerebellum."

"Movement and balance."

"Amygdala."

"Uh..." you falter, averting your gaze. "Memory?"

"Emotion," Spencer says. Your eyes flick back up to his face. "The hippocampus deals with memory."

"Gotcha," you respond, biting the inside of your cheek.

Spencer laughs. "I don't think I've met anyone as serious about school as you."

"I like getting A's!" You defend, shaking your head. "I've done well my whole life."

"Alright, Ace."

"Ace?"

"Yeah. Ace. You like acing things." Spencer blushes, looking down.

You laugh. "Cute."

You two are quiet for a moment before you look up at Spencer again.

"Thanks for hanging out with me," you say, your voice gentle.

"I should be thanking you for hanging out with me," Spencer replies. "I'm weird. People don't like me."

"Well, people are stupid."

"I was...bullied a lot in high school. Granted, I was twelve, but still."

Your eyes soften and Spencer's hazel eyes meet yours. "I'm sorry that happened to you. Well, you're my friend now and if anyone even so much as calls you weird, I'll punch them."

The blush in Spencer's cheeks grows brighter. "O-Oh." He gives you a toothy grin. "W-Well thank you."

He holds your gaze and your stomach flips, your chest filling with warmth. His eyes search yours, and you clear your throat, averting your gaze.

"Keep going," you say softly.

"Wernicke's Area."

You climb into the SUV's passenger seat, letting Prentiss drive. Buckling in, you glance at her to find her already looking at you. She grins, starting the car and beginning the drive to victim #1's family—Jessie Klein.