XXIII.

warnings: slight exhibitionism

"John! W-What are you doing here?" You ask, tilting your head to the side slightly

He takes the papers from your hands. "Ah, Atlanta sent me up here for a couple days to work on something for Counterintelligence."

You nod slowly. "That's neat; good for you."

"Thanks," he says, grinning at you. "I figured I'd run into you here eventually."

"Yeah, I actually work on this floor." You point to the BAU doors.

He looks past you at the glass doors before looking back at your face. "How are you liking the BAU?"

"Oh, it's good! It's...really good," you say, grinning as you feel a slight blush creep to your cheeks.

"Ace?"

You turn and see Spencer poking his head out of the doorway. "What's up, brainiac?"

He walks over to you, his eyes on John. He plants himself by your side, and you feel his hand snake around your waist protectively. You roll your eyes internally, looking up at Spencer.

"This is my friend, John," you explain. "We worked together in Atlanta."

"Dr. Spencer Reid," Spencer says, his eyes still on John.

"Oh, did the elusive Y/n finally get tied down?" John jokes, looking at you.

You shake your head, feeling Spencer's grip tighten on your waist. "John—"

"'Cause last time I asked you if you wanted a relationship, I distinctly remember you telling me you weren't into those." His eyes flick to Spencer.

"Yeah, with you," you say, a hint of coldness creeping into your voice.

John just laughs, shuffling the papers in his hands. He passes by Spencer, pausing to look him in the eyes. "Be careful with her. She's a slippery one. And she likes in rough in bed, doesn't she?"

You feel Spencer stiffen next to you, his jaw clenching tightly. John laughs as he walks away from you and Spencer, and the two of you are quiet for a moment.

"What an asshole," you mutter, shaking your head. "I can't believe I used to have sex with him."

"Was it good sex?" Spencer asks, looking down at you.

"Absolutely fucking not," you say, meeting his eyes. "I faked it every time."

Spencer grins down at you. "If I ever see that guy again, I will punch him in the fucking face."

"As you should," you reply, laughing as he removes his hand from your waist, lacing his fingers with yours.

The two of you walk back into the BAU, and you finish your paperwork throughout the afternoon. You lean back in your seat, looking over at Prentiss.