VII.

Yes, the case in this chapter mirrors the one from season 4, but it's not exactly the same!

You take a sip of the rum and coke at the bar, leaning your back against the counter. Your gaze stays on the floor, the hint of alcohol stinging as it runs down your throat.

"Y/n! Cheer up! We're in Vegas!"

You glance up, giving a forced smile to Jessica. "Sorry, Jess. Just lost in thought."

She smiles. "Come dance with us later."

You give her a small nod before glancing around the bar. Swallowing, you down the rest of your drink before pushing the glass toward the bartender. Turning back around, your eyes roam the crowd, subconsciously looking for the one person you so desperately wanted to see.

Las Vegas is a crowded city—but a small part of you hoped that fate would be in your favor and somehow, you'd run into the 6'1" bumbling brainiac you used to call your best friend. You suddenly feel like you can't breathe, a sharp pain panging through your chest at the thought of him, and you make your way toward the front doors of the bar, pushing them open.

The cold air hits you, and you put your hands on your knees, bending over slightly to try to catch your breath. It's been almost three years, yet you see Spencer everywhere. You don't mean to. And you don't want to.

Pulling out your phone, you hit Spencer's contact, pushing the phone to your ear. You know it's disconnected, and you know no one is at the other end. The dial tone rings in your ear and you clench your jaw, pushing the phone in your pocket.

A part of you wishes the past three years had just been a fucking nightmare—maybe if you pinched yourself hard enough, you'd wake up in your dorm room with a knock at your door. You'd open it and there Spencer would stand—that lopsided smile on his face, his hazel eyes looking into yours before shoving past you inside your room.

But you know it's not a nightmare. It's not a dream. It's your reality. And no matter how many times you called the disconnected number, or sent him emails that would bounce back to you, or even came to Vegas every weekend to try to find him, it would stay your reality.

Spencer's gone. The thought almost makes you want to throw up, and you swallow the rising bile you feel in your throat.

"Y/n!"

You turn around, trying to slap a smile on your face. Jess' eyes scan your face, and she hesitates before speaking again.

"Come on; let's dance." She holds out her hand.

You take in a deep breath before walking over to Jess, grabbing her hand and letting her lead you back into the suffocating bar.

"A missing kid?"