2 || cat cafe.

It had been several weeks now since I've made my new friends. I've been specifically talking to Dream most often, bonding over our shared home state of Florida. We maintained this little title of online friends until recently, when I hopped onto a discord call with him.

"Guess what," Dream began, his voice tinged with delight, "I'm back in town, your  town, visiting my family again."

"You are?" I exclaimed, perking up in my seat. I began to consider the possibilities right away. We could hang out and do things; I'd been meaning to meet up with my new friend in person for a while, and seeing him at the coffee shop just that once wasn't enough.

He laughed, "Yeah I'll only be here for a few days though... so if you want to do something-"

"The cat cafe!" I interrupted, "It just recently opened up and I've been meaning to go with someone.. please can we go?" I pleaded, voice full of excitement.

He sighed dramatically, pausing for a moment, pretending to think about it. "I suppose we can go."

"Yes!" I squealed, "What are your plans for today? I'm available whenever."

"I'm free today, but not tomorrow, so we should go this evening," talking could be heard in the background of his mic, "I need to go, text me the details, kay?"

"Alrighty!" I left the call, staring at my computer for a moment. I checked the time, and saw that it was already 4 p.m. I needed to make reservations and get ready. I took my phone out of my pocket and sent him a quick text message; be ready by 6, ill pick u up, k?

- aight sounds good :)

I leapt to my feet and dashed to my closet to gather my belongings. I didn't want to overdress or overthink my appearance, but I also didn't want to appear absolutely homeless. He's already seen how you look with zero sleep, why does it matter?  I had to look good so he could see the potential I have. Why am I obsessing over him in this way? He's only a friend, and it's not a date.

Before leaving my room to shower, I chose baggy jeans and a lightweight sweater to wear over a turtleneck, folding and placing them on my bed.

-

- hurry up

- omw out

I sat in my car, fidgeting with my thumbs on the steering wheel. This is the first time I'm hanging out with him, what if it's awkward? Our conversations always come easy, and it's never awkward over discord calls but what if it's awkward in person?

I watched as his front door opened, dropping my trembling hands to my lap, pinching my own skin to distract myself. He stepped out, glancing behind him to wave at someone before heading towards my car. He squinted, looking in at me, shooting me a wide grin that instantly eased my nerves. I returned his smile and waved him towards my car.

"I call aux," he said as he opened the door, stepped inside, and sat down.

"Dude, you just meet me and first thing you do is ask for aux?" I chuckled and punched him in the arm.

He straightened up in his seat and extended his hand "Please accept my apologies. Hello, my name is Dream, and it's a pleasure to meet you. What might your name be?"

I burst out laughing, "Out," I gasped for breath, pointing at the door, "out the car I'm going home."

We were both laughing, and for a brief minute, we forgot what we were meant to be doing. We eventually came to our senses and exited his driveway, blasting whatever music was on his phone, on our way to the cat cafe.