Chapter 5

The Lies Between Us

5 - I Should Step On His Ego

"Love."

The word is simple but the ring of it in my ears felt like percussions on a burial. A death march on a rainy day. A sad chord by the end of a symphony. The last line of a heroic prose.

It sounded like that when he made his confession.

In other circumstances, I would have allowed myself to entertain my feelings for him. If we stayed young and innocent as before, things would've been easier.

But I know he's changed, and things won't simply get back to normal.

Lisie sighed and continued reading her character's thoughts in the script. She already started memorizing some of her lines the moment the script was handed to her a day ago. And just last night, she and Soo had visited a salon to change her hair color.

How can a person like him love when he's done so much of unforgivable things?

But then...would I love him still, even though such act would be careless and stupid?

"Is that Vaia Winters in the flesh?" a high pitched voice broke in.

Lisie's script reading was put into a halt seeing a beautiful woman walking towards her. Soo came seconds later following the woman's approach. The living room suddenly felt too small for three girls with such strong personalities.

Lisie was still speechless. She was deeply getting into her character's thoughts when they came in, she couldn't even smile genuinely because of how serious she was getting into. She just had to force herself to break out character to be polite or else she would've sound rude to them.

"Wow!" was all she can say.

The dainty lady gracefully laughs at her reaction.

"Ruby Jane Kennedy...it's an honor to meet you" Lisie reached for her hand as Jane pleasantly smiled at her.

"Likewise, oh and Jane is okay. We'll be working closely together so I'd prefer you call me that."

"My name's Li-"

"Lisie Moore, yes. I've been waiting for an opportunity to work with you." Lisie gaped at what she said and turned to Soo.

"Jane's going to design the main outfits in this film. She's also your costar's sister." Soo explained.

"Eh? Which costar?" Lisie's thoughts scanned through her costars and tried to recall someone who resembles Jane's features. It's probably Ella Gross?

Jane giggled.

"Tait and I are actually step siblings." Lisie's reaction had amused Jane like she was expecting it. It took a moment before Lisie could recover.

"Oh"

"Yeah, most people in showbiz don't know that. I give it to Tait for being so private with family."

Lisie smiled. "It must be fun working closely with your brother."

Jane rolls her eyes like talking about her brother was a bore. "He's actually annoying and crabby whenever I work on his costumes, anyway, can I just say you look really good with bleached blonde hair? Or is that a wig?"