Chapter 7

I tap nervously on my knees as a look around the busy airport. I am already at my gate even though it is half an hour until boarding. I got here extra early in case there would be any problems with the check in. I am bringing two big suitcases, my keyboard and one of my guitars with me to England. I originally wanted to bring both of them, but I eventually decided against that. Enough is enough. I do not even know how long I will be staying there.

It is a Monday afternoon in September and almost exactly three weeks since Liam called me about the job. Once I bought the plane ticket, time started to pass incredible slow. Now it feels like only yesterday I told my family and friends that I am going back to England. Fortunately, a lot of preparations have not been necessarily. I am going to keep my apartment in Mullingar for now, and I did not have to quit my job at the cinema. My rent is not that high, and I would like to keep it in case I come back in the near future. As for my job, they have just put me on temporary leave. Trish is not thrilled about me going, but I keep reminding her that I have not quit my job completely.

The same night I got the news, I called Trish over to my apartment to tell her that I am going to London. First she got a little upset, but then she changed her approach to shower me with affection instead. Maybe she thought that was going to change my mind about leaving. Even though it did not work, she has been very sweet to me since then. It is clear that she is trying to avoid any kind of drama and fighting, so that we can part on good terms. Maybe she is worried that I will find liking in somebody else over there. I wish I could tell her that I am only going to be focusing on work, and not have time to date or even meet someone. There is really no reason for her to be anxious, especially since she is the closest thing to a girlfriend that I ever had.

Liam is still the only one who knows the real reason why I am going to London. I do not want to tell my friends and family about the job until I know for sure if it is something I want to work with. I do not even know what they would say about a career in the music industry. It will just have to wait.

I take out my phone an reread the mail Louis sent me two weeks ago.

Dear Niall.
We are happy to welcome you to Railroad records London.

This company was founded in 1983 by Jerry and Kyle Tompson and is now run by Jerry's daughter Jennifer Tompson. Railroad is a local record company in southern London with focus on new talent and developing of new artists. Our work areas contains recording, songwriting, publishing, coordination, production, distribution and marketing.

As my assistant you will work mainly in recording and production with me, but this is a place where you can grow. Liam told me that you both play and write music, and I am excited to see what you can bring to the company in the future.

The office hours is 9-17 but we are pretty much active around the clock. Be prepared to work some late nights and weekends, that is when the magic happens.

We will initially sign a 2 month contract with possibility of extension after that period.
Your starting salary will be 1600£ /month with payoff on the 27th.

The company will provide you with an Oyster travel smart card to be used on travel modes across London including London Underground, London Buses, the Docklands Light Railway, London Overground, Tramlink, some river boat services and most national rail services within the London fare zones.

You will start on September 21 at 9.00

27 Grange Road
London
W06 1IH

Louis Tomlinson

Just as I finish reading the email, for what must be the hounded time since I got it, the check-in staff announces that the flight to Heatrow is ready for boarding. I pick up my jacket and go over to stand in the growing line of travelers.

Once I am on the plane and finally in my seat, I take out my phone again to turn it into flight mode. I keep the Bluetooth on so I can listen to music after the flight attendant is done with the safety instruction. It is not my first time on a plane, but I think it is only polite to pay attention.

When the captain announces through the crunchy sounding speaker that it is time for takeoff, I plug in my air pods and start the offline playlist I downloaded on spotify earlier. It is only a 1,5 hour flight, so I do not have a lot of time to kill. The first song starts playing and I look out the window as the plane takes off, and watch how Dublin gets smaller and smaller below me. Pretty soon I can only see the blue of the ocean, so I close my eyes to enjoy the soft music in my ears.

Time goes past very fast and I must have dozed off because suddenly it is time to land. I look outside and can see London emerge before me. Excitement starts to build in my stomach, it feel so good to be back in England. I take hold of the armrests when the plane lands, this is the worst part of flying. When we are safely down on the ground and parked by the gate I can finally relax.

It feels like forever until the doors finally open and we can leave the airplane. I hate this part almost as much as the landing. People trying to make their way into the crowded isle with their carry on bags, breathing down each others necks and grunting impatiently when the one in front of them take to long. Trying my best not to trigger my claustrophobia, I remain in my seat until the isle is clear of people.

I turn off flight mode on my phone and text Liam that I have landed. He is working today and do not have the possibility to pick me up at the airport. He has apologized about that multiple times, but I really do not mind. I am pretty confident that I am able to make it to the apartment on my own, thanks to his detailed directions.

"Fantastic! I can get off at 3 so I will meet you at the apartment." Liam replays after just a few minutes.

I look at the clock and see that it's almost 2, which means that he will probably be there about the same time as me.

--
Heathrow airport is much bigger than Dublin airport, and baggage claim is very crowded. I feel that I can easily get lost in here if I do not pay attention. It is especially stressful since I have so much luggage. First I have to grab my two suitcases from the carousel, load them onto a trolley, find the special baggage claim, pick up my keyboard and guitar case, load them to the trolley as well, make my way out of the airport and then get a taxi.