Chapter 4: Not over yet

Sky's POV
I ran down the stairs from the balcony and into the arena. They were all gone.. This had to be a nightmare.. "Ty?! Ian?! Tyler?! Trooper?!" I called out. No answer. Only my desperate voice echoing through the still arena. I walked through hallways and corridors for maybe 45 minutes.. Nothing but the stench of squid. I heard a yelp of pain suddenly. That sounded like Tyler! I ran towards the sound and peered around a corner. The sight I saw was horrifying.. Six syringes were set on a table. They had deep blue stuff in them. Two of them were empty.. Next to that table was another longer, wider table with straps on the sides. They had my friends separated in two different cells. Tyler was sitting with Ian in one of them, while Ty, Trooper, and Steven were in the other. Something seemed different about Tyler and Ian.. Their eyes had changed color.. To deep blue.. Their hair was beginning to get a faint shade of blue as well.. Four lumps were forming on their backs. They were turning into squid hybrids! Trooper decided to shift her position and saw me. Her eyes brightened up a bit. 'HELP US' she mouthed. I nodded to her and looked around the room. The squid queen was in the room, looking for a certain syringe. "Ahh here it is.. I'm saving the best two for last." She said to Steven and Trooper while heading for Ty. Ty shuffled to the farthest corner of the cell. He shook his head. "Come on or I'll make you." The squid queen grumbled. Trooper leaned in to Ty to whisper something to him. He sighed and let himself be taken to the table. I didn't want to see this.. I turned away and covered my ears. After a few moments I heard Ty's faint scream of pain. I was about to explode with rage at the squid queen. Hurting my friends is one thing.. But hurting my lifelong friends is another..
Ty's POV
I felt like screaming. The needle slid into my arm and stung like hell.. The mixture in the syringe burned when it flowed.. Why did it have to be so painful? I suddenly felt constant nausea and severe head aches. My back felt like it was inflaming and my eyes burned like they were dry or something. I saw Sky watching us. He had turned away so he didn't have to see me in pain.. Or the others.. I sat up when the squid queen retracted the needle. My arm felt so numb I wouldn't even feel a rock slamming down on it. "Stand up and go join your friends." Said the squid queen harshly, while pushing me towards the other cell with Ian and Tyler in it. I sat with them and waited for the effects to grow. Either wait for that.. Or wait for Sky.
Trooper's POV
I hated seeing good friends in pain. Especially if the pain was caused by HER.. How are we going to get out of this one? The squids took my amulet.. I can't help.. But wait.. They didn't take Sky's amulet! Maybe he can use his! He was looking back around the corner. I mouthed to him 'USE YOUR AMULET' he hesitantly nodded. His amulet began to glow a beautiful magenta. A faint cloud of mist emitted from it and drifted towards the squid queen. She inhaled it and instantly froze, then collapsed. Sky snuck into the room. "How do I break the locks?" He asked me. "Let me handle it." I said. I took out my pocket knife and flipped open the screwdriver. I twisted the lock towards me and began to pick at it. "Why didn't you do this before?" Sky asked. "I didn't want to do it in front of her." I said pointing to the squid queen. "Oh.." I finally got the lock open and I opened the door. I stepped over the squid queen and picked at the lock on the second cell. I got it open and Tyler burst out. "Shush!" I said to him. He stopped himself from screaming, "IM FREE!!" I grouped them all together and led them out of the most confusing part of the prison. I found the same air duct I escaped from last time and jumped into it. The others followed my lead and after the two excruciating hours, we finally made it back to the surface. I helped the others out. Ty, Ian, and Tyler looked so weak. They had tiny tentacles sprouting from their backs. "Is there any way we can fix this?" Asked Tyler. I nodded. "Before we left I grabbed some antidote. Here drink this." I said, handing them each a vile of turquoise liquid. They hesitated a little but drank it after a moment. They began to shiver. The tentacles began retracting or dissolving. "Wow.. I feel much better now.." Said Ian. "Of course you do. Now let's get back to the house." Sky took the lead. I slowed down until I was at the back of the group with Steven. "Hey what's wrong? You've been so quiet lately." He shrugged. "I don't know.. I don't think we're in the clear yet.. I'm always having this feeling.. Like we're being watched.." I looked around. Didn't seem like anyone or anything was around. Steven abruptly stopped. "Shush.." He said to us all, while holding up a hand. He tilted his head towards his left.
Steven's POV
I know I heard something.. Something rustled the bushes. I heard heavy breathing along with muttering voices. The voices sounded like they were saying. "Run or die" and "do not stay". I shooed the others away. "Go, go run!" I said while starting a jog. I then heard stomping behind me. The others started at a sprint. I caught up to them and looked behind me. A silhouette of something big was blundering after us. And it was FAST. "Go hurry!" I said. We sped up and caught the house in view. Almost there.. I heard an "OOF!" And saw Ian trip and fall. I skidded to a halt and dashed back to him. The.. Thing.. Stopped in front of us and slowly bent down. All I could see were it's glaring red eyes. I took out my diamond sword. "Don't make me use this.." I muttered. The thing narrowed its eyes. It was like a staring contest.. But the thing was winning. I saw the fear of others and hatred in its eyes. Red flames burned in them. It finally made me flinch. I heard a deep laugh and the sound of screaming souls. "S-Steven? Do you know what this thing is?.." Ian asked me. "It's a Living Shadow.. I think.. They seek fear and hate of humans so they can feed off of it.." Suddenly all went black. "Steven?!" Ian started to panic. "I-it's ok!.. I-I'm right here in front of you!.." I honestly haven't felt so scared before. I was probably more panicked than Ian. I felt the presence of Ian fade. "I-Ian? A-are you there?.. Ian??" I was about to shout his name when I felt a searing pain in my chest. The shadow was feeding on my fear.. I started to back up a few steps when I ran into something freezing cold. It was like ice, only it was pitch black.
Trooper's POV
"Ian?! Steven?! Can you hear me?!" I yelled while banging on the dark, ice like stuff. No answer. The shadow like thing had dived over them and created a dome over them. "Sky? What do we do about this? We keep running into trouble here and there.." Sky thought for a second. "Did you get your amulet before we left?" I nodded. "Try to use that then." I nodded again and let the power unleash. I only let out half of what I might have to do. I didn't want to hurt Ian and Steven if it is too powerful. A beam of green shot towards the dome and bounced right back to me. I ducked and watched the beam destroy a tree. "Oops.." Must not have been enough power. I tried again, but with more force. Again it deflected. I decided to try at full power. "I hope this works in both ways.." I muttered to myself. To free them of the shadow, and to not hurt them.. The flaming green brand ripped through the air, making a shockwave in it's wake. Dust plumed into the air after a huge rumbling. The dust cleared and hardly a scratch was put on the dome. "What?!" I started to yell. "Calm down Trooper.. Surely there's a way we can help them."
Ian's POV
I couldn't hear anything but the roaring breeze, whizzing by my ears. "STEVEN?!?" I kept yelling to him, but no answer came. A wrenching pain had built up in my chest and I had no idea what it was. Heartburn? HeartATTACK?! I was clearly terrified. I heard someone calling my name. "Who's there??" I half asked, half yelled. They didn't sound familiar. Probably no one does in this racket. "IAN?!" There it is again. It's not Steven.. Wait a second.. It's Trooper! "TROOPER!" I yelled over the sound of the wind. "Ian you can hear me!?" She asked. "Yeah!" I replied. "Can you go find Steven? Bring him back here and we'll discus a plan." She said confidently. She was comforting me like I did with her.. "Ok! I'll be right back!" I said. I turned and started to walk around the dark place. Where is he?
Steven's POV
I was sitting on a patch of grass, waiting for the shadow to just go away. I had my head buried in my knees and I was hyperventilating. "What am I supposed to do?.." I mumbled to myself. I lifted my head to look around, only to be face to face with the shadow, it's glaring red eyes darkening with hate and the love of watching others panic. "AUGH!" I nearly screamed. My back was against the pitch black wall of cold.. "AHH, I ENJOY YOUR FEAR.. IT STRONGLY FEEDS MY SOUL.." His eyes flared. I couldn't hold back the comment, "If you even have a soul." The wind in the dome stopped. I started to feel light headed. "W-what's.. Going on.." I said. The wind sped up again and I felt normal. "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM CAPABLE OF.." Said the shadow. The wind sped up even more, and I felt like I was about be lifted off of the ground. "Steven?!" I hear Ian call my name. "I'm over here!" I shouted back to him. My feelings started to take action. I was being lifted upwards. "HELP!" I heard Ian yell. "I was just about to ask you the same thing!" I shouted. Something bumped into me. "Ian?" I asked. "Steven? how do we get out of this mess??"
Sky's POV
I could hear their muffled voices as they tried to find each other in the swarm of darkness. Suddenly something hit the wall or whatever it is. "Guys we need a plan now!!" I heard them yell in unison. I immediately got a plan. "I have an idea!" I powered up my amulet and let the magenta beam dig into the ground underneath the dome. It got to the other side of the dome and I let it spread out to make a hole big enough for them to slip through. I retracted the beam and a huge force of wind started its way out of the dome. Ian and Steven were tossed out and both of them face planted next to each other. "Thanks.." Ian mumbled. They sat up and looked at us. "Yeah, thanks." Steven said. "Anything for a friend." I replied. "Let's get back to the house before more trouble comes our way." Tyler said. "Yeah. How much trouble can we get into in one day?" Ty asked, amused. "I'll tell you at the end of the day." Trooper mused. We all started at a jog, then a race to the house. "I WIN!!" Ian shouted. It was like nothing had ever happened to him. Steven acted more.. Well.. Active than he usually is. He was probably third to the house. When we got inside, everything was just how we left it. It felt good to be back home.. Nothing is trying to kill us here. I decided to slump onto the couch and rest for once. "Finally we can sit.." I said. "Yeah, I felt like I was about to drop and have to drag myself here." Tyler said, a hint of laughter in his voice. I felt the same way. I'm pretty sure the others have similar thoughts as well. Tyler went up to his room, Ty went into the kitchen for food, Ian was heading downstairs to his room, and I was just on the couch. I didn't know where Trooper and Steven were. I didn't feel like getting up so I just kicked open the recliner and daydreamed.