Amortentia

The first morning at Hogwarts felt very different from mornings at Beauxbatons. There was a cold breeze coming in through the windows and the smell of the black lake followed me through the corridors. I got this weird rush of a feeling I had never felt before or at least in a really long time. It made me want to try again, or try to feel alive again. I hadn't felt like this since my last prank at Beauxbatons.

I started walking faster towards the dining hall when I saw a large clock. I still had quite a bit of time before class. I finally walked into the dining hall and saw Fred looking down at his plate. George was talking to him about some article in the daily prophet when I sat next to him. I got my plate full of the best food I'd ever seen before.

"Did you guys hear about our new professor?" George asked quickly

"No who is it?" Fred said

"Guess his name is Lupin. Heard he's good, much better than that bloke last year." George said.

"Who was here last year?" I asked

"Oh Lockheart, the idiot didn't teach us anything." Fred answered, a scowl growing as he remembered his last professor. 

Our first class was potions and by the end of breakfast we were all very excited to get the class over with. 

"Now Snape will pick on you. He hates all Gryffindor." Fred said, while leading me to Professor Snape's class.

"He especially hates us" George said "Even though we have incredibly high marks for being Gryffindor's." I wasn't going to tell them this but I absolutely adore potions. I just hope this teacher doesn't ruin it for

"Good morning Professor Snape" I said as we walked into class and I handed him my transfer sheet with my past grades on it.

"Wow, look at those marks. Especially in Potions and Defense against the dark arts. I am impressed. Finally a intelligent Gryffindor" I smiled and took a seat in front of Fred and George next to a blonde Ravenclaw girl. As the professor started teaching he talked on and on about the different potions we would do this year.

"But, we will start with none other than Amortentia." I shifted in my seat, this was my favorite potion of all. Pretty simple for being a love potion but was a good challenge to perfect.

"Mrs. Transfer student, can you tell me what Amortentia is?" Snape asked.

"Amortentia is a love potion." I stopped for a moment and Snape chuckled at my answer.

I continued before he could start to make a fool out of me. "It is a love potion that is made of several ingredients including ash winder eggs, rose thorns, peppermint, powdered moonstone, pearl dust, and Rose petals." I listed off quickly.  I heard several giggle from around the classroom as the look on Snape's face turned into a scowl.

"It isn't necessarily the type of love potion to use on another witch or wizard but merely fabricates the illusion of love. it shows you what you are attracted to by the smell. For example Professor, If you were to make the potion it might smell of freshly cut grass, expensive perfume, and the petals of a Lily. When I last made it, it particularly smelled like rotten eggs, the back of an old SUV owned by a middle aged muggle, and burnt flesh. But then again, who truly knows what love is?" I sat down and smiled as the whole class went silent. A single laugh came from behind me. It was Fred.

Over summer I read up on different potions as I didn't have much else to do with my time. 

 "Very good. You wouldn't mind demonstrating how to make it for us next class then would you?" Snape asked.

"I would love to Professor" I said with a smirk on my face.

The rest of the class went by very quickly. Snape explaining how and when to use specific potions and how to correctly stir your cauldron.