Chapter 27

"So..." Sage fixed her robes as she and Mia walked out of Charms class. "Will you talk to her today?"

Mia frowned. "To her?"

"Daisy."

"Oh... I thought you told me to talk to her after I sorted things out with – but sure, yeah, I have Herbology with her in the afternoon, I'll ask her then."

"Ugh, I shouldn't have dropped Herbology," Sage groaned.

"Yes, well, you dropped Potions too, unlike me, so..."

"I know," she rolled her eyes. "Did anyone else from our house even continue Potions besides you?"

"Yeah, Max."

"Oh, of course he did... Alright, I'll see you at lunch, then."

"Okay," Mia nodded. "See you."

She walked away from her and started making her way towards the dungeons. When she arrived, she noticed a few people standing outside the classroom already.

Mia spotted James in the company of two other Gryffindors and unfortunately for her, James noticed her too. Before he could approach her, however, she found herself face-to-face with someone else.

"Hello, Mia."

As she glanced up, she was met with an incredibly handsome, dark-skinned boy who she never talked to before.

"Hi," she greeted Zane unsurely. "Where's Mason?"

"He should be here any second now," he shrugged. "Listen, can I talk to you?"

"You're already doing it, aren't you?"

The corners of his mouth turned upwards and he nodded. "Yeah, well, I don't know if your father mentioned it to you –"

"What, setting the two of us up?" She raised her eyebrows. "Yes, it came up."

Zane loosened his tie a bit. "Great, well –"

"It's not going to happen, obviously," she interrupted him.

"So, you're not – you're not interested?"

"Absolutely not."

The Slytherin let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, fantastic."

Mia frowned. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, don't get me wrong, you're a beautiful girl, I'm just not interested."

"So?" She crossed her arms. "Neither am I, you're not special."

Zane chuckled. "You know, I actually used to have a crush on you."

"Used to?" Mia raised her eyebrows at him.

"Yeah, I don't anymore."

"That's good to know," she nodded. "Is that all?"

"Yes, that's all. Just wanted to clear that up, because I'm trying to work things out with Esther, and –"

"No offence, Zane, but I really don't care."

"Right," he narrowed his eyes slightly. "I'll leave you alone, then."

"That would be appreciated," Mia gave him a forced smile.

He gave her one last look, then he turned around just in time to see Mason approaching him.

Mia was about to come up with some other way to avoid James when her housemate arrived and joined her on the dark corridor.

"'We must bring our own light to the darkness,'" Max said pensively as he took his wand out. "Charles Bukowski. Seriously, though, why can't they put some lights here? Lumos."