Nightmares & Cuddles

I wake up to a sudden tremor like sensation on my bed. I don't even need to turn over to know that my girlfriend's just had another nightmare. I lay still on my side, waiting. I've learnt after months of being with her that she needs a few seconds on her own to realize that she's safe and that it was just a nightmare. I can't help but notice that she's had quite a lot of those lately.

I feel her turning over to face my back. Although we fall asleep in each others arms each night we're together, at some point in the night, the two of us end up on opposite sides of the bed. Villanelle slides her arm across my waist, and pulls herself closer. I've learnt that this is how she calms herself down after a nightmare and it's got to be one of my favorite things in the world. I reach for her hand and interlace our fingers, moving our hands up to my chest so she can feel my heartbeat and know she's safe and loved beyond measure.

She snuggles in closer, her nose up against my neck. I feel her warm breath and racing heartbeat slow down to a gentle hum. The nightmare seems to have been pretty bad tonight. She plants a quick kiss on the back of my neck and whispers,

"you are my favorite place in the world"

Butterflies. Every time. Her thick Russian accent, adds to this feeling so much more. It takes everything in me to not turn around and kiss her cause I know both of us have an early day tomorrow. I lied to myself for the longest time, denying that I'm falling in love with this woman. With a job like hers that's dangerous beyond compare, it's naive to be in a relationship. We love each other desperately, even though she makes an excellent show of being nonchalant about it, primarily for my own benefit. I try to not think about her having to leave to Italy on another "job" in a few hours. Each day we find that we're falling more in love and it makes saying goodbye so much harder. Especially when we find ourselves apart for way longer than just one night.

I move our interlaced fingers up to my lips and gently kiss each of her knuckles. I don't need to be facing her to know she's smiling. She pulls me closer sliding one of her legs between mine, almost ensuring that there's 0 space between us.

I stroke her palm with my thumb until I know she's fallen asleep, wishing moments like this would last forever.

————————————————————————
[Let me know if you guys like this and if I should update! <3]