CHAPTER 1

The sounds of chains and grinds of metal was the first thing I heard. I took a sharp intake of air, gasping and coughing. I looked around and saw I was in a box, that seemed to be moving upwards at a quick speed. The smell of metal and unpleasant stenches filled my nose, before I looked up to see an ending was coming to the box. A rooftop.

“HEY! SOMEBODY HELP ME!”, I yelled, hoping for an answer.

The box came to a stop, making me fall back onto my butt. I jerked my head around, scared and confused about where I am. I can’t remember anything. My head aches to try and recall any memories about myself or my life. Nothing. Who the hell did this to me? Where am I?

The rooftop opened and sunlight streamed in, making me squint and shrink back to a corner. Once my eyes adjusted, I looked up and saw that blue sky and clouds were above me. I soon heard voices, many of them. Heads started to pop into view, blocking rays of the sunlight.

“Wonder if we’ll get another Runner for this Greenie”.

“Pfft, probably another Slopper if ya’ ask me”.

I didn’t bother to take notice of the language these people were using. I didn’t what was going on. I wanted to know, but I didn’t want to get harmed in the process.

“I can’t even see the Greenie”, an accented voice said.

I curled myself up into a ball, hoping to disappear so I’m not seen from my kidnappers. But unfortunately, I was spotted by a young voice with a pointing finger.

“Wait! I see him! In the corner over there!”.

I dared to look up, and I saw more heads were looking into the box, blocking out more sunlight. They squinted before gasps and whispers were heard.

“It’s a girl!”.

“Holy shuck!”.

“I call dibs!”.

“Shut your holes you bloody shanks!”.

The voices halted and went back down to light whispers. The person who shouted must have some sort of leader or figurehead. I whimpered as I couldn’t control the fear that was slower creeping up into my chest. The box shook and rumbled, as someone jumped down into it. I looked up and saw a tall blonde boy, with a dirty face was now standing above me. I tried to back myself up more, trying to sink into the walls of the metal box.

“Hey, don’t be afraid”, he said, the accent recurring into his voice. He bent down so he was eye level with me, and put on a gentle smile. “My name’s Newt and I won’t hurt you”.

My gut told me to be cautious, but to trust Newt. I slowly nodded, easing my shoulders the tiniest bit. I knew that I was completely safe, but around him I felt a small bit of ease. My name also suddenly came to me, before I let it roll off my tongue.