Chapter 6: fourth year

Both of them had no idea what the other thought of them, so they plaintively ignored the fact, though they did steal glances at each other as they pressed their ears against the closet door. The rest of their friends watched them in amusement, for it was so obvious that they've never seen two people more in love than Lily and James, though the two stubborn teens would never admit it. Jennifer was itching to match up the both of them, though Remus had to tell her logically how it wouldn't work out at all, seeing that they were barely friends yet.

"Wait until they're close friends, and then we'll move to the next step," he had said wisely. So, Jennifer impatiently waited for her two friends to become friends with each other.

The six other friends finally gave up on Sirius and Arabella, since it was obvious that they weren't going to make up that night or the next day, so they unwillingly let out the two.

"That was a waste of a good evening," said Jennifer, sighing, as she watched Sirius and Arabella stomp off toward their dates without a single glance at each other. "It's hopeless, I'm starting to think."

"Don't say that, Jen," smothered Violet. "They'll become together when they're ready. In the meantime, let's all enjoy ourselves with what's left of the evening. After all, it's not over, you know."

"Would you care to dance, Lily Flower?" asked James, bowing, as he took Lily's hand politely. Lily graciously accepted and they waltzed away as the music drifted throughout the large room.

We were strangers

Starting out on a journey

Never dreaming

What we'd have to go through

Now here we are

I'm suddenly standing

At the beginning with you

No one told me

I was going to find you

Unexpected

What you did to my heart

When I lost hope

You were there to remind me

This the start

Life is a road

And I want to keep going

Love is a river

And I wanna keep flowing

Life is a road

Now and forever

Wonderful journey

I'll be there

When the world stops turning

I'll be there

When the storm is through

At the end I wanna be standing

At the beginning with you

We were strangers

On a crazy adventure

Never dreaming

How our dreams would come true

Now here we stand unafraid of the future

At the beginning with you

Life is a road and I wanna keep going

Loves is a river and I wanna keep going on

Starting out on a journey

Life is a road and I wanna keep going

Love is a river and I wanna keep flowing

In the end I wanna be standing

At the beginning...with you

Lily and James swayed peacefully to the music as it played softly. As it died away, applause was heard, and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" played.

After the ball, everyone agreed that it was very exciting and groaned over classes the next day. Lily and James linked arms as they joined the other Gryffindors in the common room to party until midnight.

"That was great," said Jennifer, smiling dreamily as she flopped onto a sofa in the common room.

"Why? You and Remus snogged?" teased Lily.

"Nah. It was just great. Oh, and you and James were getting pretty cosy there yourself. You guys are really meant for each other, but still can't see it yet. I don't know how much it takes to make you see it yourselves."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I mean, the song that you guys danced to—it said a lot about you. You and James have been through a lot together, and you've found each other. All you have to do now is realise the fact that you're in love with him and vice versa, so you guys can get married and have Harry." Jennifer winked. "Though Harry should be born when you're in your mid-twenties, Lils, I mean, I think you're a little too young if it was earlier..."

"Jen!" exclaimed Lily, blushing. "Don't say those things!"

"Sorry, Lils, but I had to warn you."

Lily shook her head, smiling. The words of the song echoed in her head slowly, like a revolver.

We were strangers

Starting out on a journey

Never dreaming

What we'd have to go through

Now here we are

I'm suddenly standing

At the beginning with you

Was it true what Jennifer had said? Lily looked around at James, who was casually dangling a foot in the air while talking to Sirius, Remus, and Peter about the upcoming Quidditch game, Gryffindor versus Slytherin. His untidy, jet-black hair fell onto his face and he brushed it off, his brown eyes locking onto mine. He grinned at me, blushing, and continued to discuss things with the rest of the Marauders with red cheeks. I smiled. Even though I couldn't see James more than a friend, I knew that I would someday, for he was just the person I ought to have to be with me forever.