Chapter 26: summer of fourth year

The Marauders had not told the girls about their Animagus identities. For one thing, they knew that Lily would nag them and say that they'd end up in Azkaban. For another, they were afraid that Jennifer might blame Remus on leading them off to no good.

However, their stay at James' house flew by, and soon enough, they were all packing and getting ready for the leave to Violet's house. All six of them, excluding Violet and James of course, had written to their respected homes by owl mail, saying that they would be at Violet's house for the rest of the summer. Mrs. Walker had promised the parents that she would bring them to Diagon Alley the week before school started, to buy their school supplies.

Violet was terribly embarrassed when they all stood in front of the fireplace. Her home wasn't at all like James' mansion, which was large and comfortable, and was afraid that her friends would disown her. So, she prepared a speech for them before they all left for her house.

"Look, my house isn't exactly great..." she began, but they all protested and told her that they didn't care at all what her house was. Violet was relieved and took a handful of Floo Powder from the container on a nearby table, and cried,

"Walker residence!"

They all followed her, and soon fell onto the floor of a medium sized family room, not too big, but not too small. It was quite spacious, and Lily felt at home at once.

"There you are, Violet, dear," said Mrs. Walker, smiling at them all. "Come on in, kids. Violet, you must introduce your friends to me."

So Violet bashfully introduced each and every one of them (Mrs. Walker had agreed wholeheartedly when Arabella made a statement about Lily and James being a couple).

"And you're all in Gryffindor?" she queried in awe.

They nodded, feeling a sort of pride bursting inside of them.

"That's wonderful! I've always wanted to be in Slytherin, but, well, I guess the Sorting Hat didn't listen to my pleas." She laughed nervously.

As if on cue, Mr. Walker rambled in, saw Violet and her friends, and hugged his daughter and grinned at her friends.

"Ah, so you're the famous Lily Evans and James Potter," he said, smiling widely. "Yes, I've heard all about you two."

Lily and James looked at each other, and then at a guilty-looking Violet standing off in a corner. They raised their eyebrows at her, and she blushed.

"They're going to get married," stated Sirius, nodding seriously.

"Oh, is that so?" Mr. Walker laughed.

Everyone relaxed from then on. Mr. Walker had a nice, cheerful laugh, bubbly and meaningful. Peter even had the audacity to smile at him weakly from his nervous disposition.

"Well, let's get settled then," said Mrs. Walker briskly. "Violet, you can share your room with one of your girlfriends, and two of your other girlfriends can stay in one of our guest rooms." A pause. "Boys, I'm afraid the four of you will have to share one room. But no worries, it's quite roomy, I'm sure the four of you fellows will fit nicely..."

"We don't mind," said Remus politely, and the other three Marauders nodded.

"I'm sharing a room with Lils," said Arabella at once. "No offence, Jen."

"None taken," said Jennifer, grinning. "You two are best friends, after all."

"Glad you understand, Jenny."

So, the eight of them trouped upstairs and went into their respected rooms. Lily and Arabella hauled their trunks into the smaller guest room, while Violet and Jennifer went into Violet's room. The boys took the larger guest room.