Chapter One

(Hunter goes by Hunt when he's in his werewolf form.)

The werewolf cub nuzzled deeper into the blanket, humming sleepily. He was just about to fall back asleep when someone banged on the cupboard door.

"Freak! Get up and make breakfast!"

The cub squeaked and yipped in protest, burrowing underneath the blanket.

"I don't care if you're still a werewolf, your cousin and uncle will be up in half an hour and you know how much they eat!"

Hunt poked his tiny nose out of the blanket, whimpering. His aunt banged on the door again. "Now!"

Sighing, the cub shook off the blanket and scratched at the door. It creaked open and Dudley's face stared down at him.

"Hey, Hunt," Dudley whispered. He glanced around and slipped the cub a piece of sausage, which the cub eagerly devoured. "The moon's going set in an hour."

Hunt yipped quietly and licked Dudley's hand.

"Good luck," Dudley said quietly, scratching Hunt's ears before he disappeared. Hunt whined at the loss of his cousin's fingers before he shook himself and bounded down the hall.

"Vernon wants eggs, toast, and bacon," Aunt Petunia snapped at him as he entered the kitchen. Hunt stared at her, then up at the fridge handle, which was four feet out of his reach. "It had better be ready before Vernon's up!" She bustled out of the kitchen.

Hunt whined anxiously. Then, to his surprise, the fridge opened of its own accord and a dozen eggs floated out of it. The wolf cub blinked, then shivered excitedly.

For the rest of the morning, Hunt used magic to make breakfast. He finished much faster than usual, so he finished ten minutes before his aunt, uncle and cousin came down the stairs.

Vernon sat down, chatting about drills to his wife and son. Petunia was giving him a sappy look, while Dudley had his eyes crossed. Dudley dished some eggs and bacon onto his plate and began snarfing it down.

The wolf cub bounded to his uncle's chair, whining. Uncle Vernon growled at him and kicked him across the kitchen, making Hunt yelp in pain. "No mutts in the kitchen!" Vernon snapped.

Hunt whimpered, and his stomach rumbled angrily. His family didn't answer him (except Dudley, who cast him a faintly worried look) so he staggered to his paws and limped back to his cupboard.

Twenty minutes later, he went through the excruciating change back to human. Hunter swallowed, shivering, and got dressed.

------------

Hunter had just finished the dishes when the sound of the mail slot clattering echoed through the house. "Get the mail, boy!" Uncle Vernon bellowed.

"Yes, Uncle," Hunter called back quietly. He dried his hands and limped over to the door.

He picked up the letters and sorted through them. There were a few bills, a postcard from Aunt Marge -- he shuddered -- to his Uncle Vernon, and-

Hunter let out a loud squeal of glee when he saw the Hogwarts insignia and the name H.J. Potter.

Because he'd been bitten by a werewolf at the age of six, Petunia and Vernon had been forced to explain the existence of magic. They still called him Freak and treated him like a slave, but he knew why now.

"Freak! Be quiet! What are you so excited about?" Vernon snapped.

"I got a letter from Hogwarts!" Hunter called back happily. He knew his uncle wouldn't dare not let him go; one, because the wizards would know and track him down, and two, because it would get Hunter out of the house for nine and a half months of the year.

"PETUNIA!" Vernon shrieked, causing Hunter to burst into giggles. Dudley tiptoed the hall towards him, grinning.

"Congrats," he whispered. "Gotta go!" He darted back down the hall again when the sound of Vernon coming down the stairs reached them.

"Letter," Vernon rasped. Hunter obediently handed him the envelope, trying to hide his joy. His uncle glared at it for a long time before handing it back. "You'll have to get supplies on your own," he snapped.

"Yes, Uncle," Hunter sighed. He wasn't sure how he was going to do that, but he'd managed to make breakfast as a werewolf cub, so....

"You have until dinner to get the supplies," Vernon said bluntly.

Hunter stared at him. That's only two hours!

"Get going," Vernon sneered. Hunter rushed to his cupboard to grab his shoes.