Chapter Ten

The weeks passed. Soon, Hunter's second-least-favorite holiday came up: Halloween. The Dursleys never let him go trick-or-treating, and they locked him in the cupboard every time children came asking for candy. The only good thing about Halloween was that sometimes, Dudley would sneak him his biggest chocolate bar (and werewolves LOVED chocolate). The other reason Hunter hated Halloween was because he'd been given to his Muggle family on Halloween, the same day he'd lost his parents.

"Aren't you coming to the Halloween feast?" Draco asked worriedly. Hunter had spent most of the day curled up in bed. Snape had taken points from all the Houses but Slytherin and given  him detention, but Professor McGonagall had been understanding and hadn't punished him.

"No, not hungry," Hunter mumbled. "How's 'Mia?"

Draco scowled. "Still in the loo crying. I swear, I'll hex Weasley!"

Ron had insulted Hermione since Hunter hadn't been there to bully, and Hermione had immediately disappeared to the bathroom.

"I'll go talk to her," Hunter said quietly. "And please don't hex Ron. He doesn't think about what he's doing before he does it."

"That's because his brain is-"

"Dray," Hunter whined. Draco blushed slightly.

"All right, fine, but I still hate him," Draco said mutinously. "I'll tell Longbottom, Blaise and Pansy you're not coming; but just so you know, Pansy is going to bring you food, and she won't leave you alone until you've eaten," he warned.

Hunter smiled faintly and nodded. Draco hugged him briefly and fled.

After a while, Hunter sighed and got up. He may as well get Hermione, and they could comfort each other.

He left the Slytherin common room and went up to the second-floor bathroom. He figured that everyone would be at the feast. He was surprised when he heard a slow thumping coming from nearby. Hunter shrugged and knocked on the bathroom door.

"'Mia, are you okay?"

"Hunter?" Hermione sounded upset.

"You really shouldn't listen to Ron," Hunter said softly. "He doesn't know anything about you. You're incredibly intelligent, pretty, and kind...."

The thumping sound was getting closer, but Hunter wasn't paying attention.

"That's really sweet of you, Hunter," Hermione said softly. He heard the bathroom cubicle open. "Do you want to go down to the feast?"

"Not really," Hunter said in a small voice.

There was a grunting noise behind him, and he turned. The next second he shrieked.

There was a huge creature, covered in boils and wearing a loincloth, standing behind him. Its eyes were beady and small, as was its head. The club it was carrying was bigger than Hunter's body.

Hunter darted into the bathroom as the creature let out a gravelly roar.

Hermione, who was standing behind him, was now pale. "What was that?" she squeaked.

Hunter recalled Newt Scamander's book, which described a creature just like this, and rasped, "Troll." He pulled out his wand.

His friend blanched. "What are we going to do?"

"The outer skin is too strong for normal spells-" Hunter cast a strengthening charm on the door "-so we have to wait for it to roar and cast Stupefy at its mouth."

There was a bang and the door shuddered but held.

"How long will the spell keep the troll back?" Hermione asked anxiously, pulling out her own wand.

"Hopefully, long enough for the teachers to hear and come looking for us," Hunter responded just as anxiously. "Five minutes, I think."

The troll's club hit the door again, and a small crack appeared.

"Make that three minutes," Hunter squeaked.

For three minutes, Hunter and Hermione cowered in the bathroom, waiting for the troll to smash through the door. The crack widened slowly with each bang.

Just before the troll smashed through the door-

"Stupefy!" three familiar voices shouted. Hunter recognized Professor McGonagall's, Quirrell's, and Snape's voice.

A loud thump sounded outside the door, telling Hunter that the troll was unconscious. He let out a relieved sob, and he and Hermione collapsed to the floor.

"Reparo," McGonagall said briskly, and the door repaired itself.

The door opened, and Quirrell rushed in, looking paler than usual. Hunter could tell that this time, he wasn't faking.

Hunter launched himself into Quirrell's arms, and the man squeezed him closer. "I'm o-okay," Hunter croaked.

"Mr. Potter, Miss Granger!" McGonagall exclaimed.

"I'm not surprised Mr. Potter isn't in the Slytherin common room," Snape sneered. Quirrell's vampire growled quietly, pulling Hunter closer. "He seems to think he is exempt from the rules-"

"Severus, they weren't in the Great Hall when Albus ordered the students back to their commons rooms!" McGonagall snapped, furious. Hunter peeked out from between Quirrell's arms, and Snape looked almost taken aback. McGonagall was never this angry. "And Mr. Potter's common room is in the dungeons, where the troll was reported to be!"

"How'd the troll get up two flights of stairs?" Hermione asked shakily. Quirrell tensed slightly, and Hunter snuggled closer.

"It climbed, I presume," Snape sneered. "Now go back to your common rooms."

"I'll escort Miss Granger," McGonagall said swiftly. "Quirinus, take Mr. Potter to the hospital wing, he's in shock."

"Y-yes, M-Minerva," Quirrell responded. Hunter knew the man had barely remembered to stutter. Instead of letting Hunter go, he swooped him into his arms and walked out of the bathroom.

Hunter let out a squeak of surprise, making Quirrell chuckle quietly.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Hunter," Hermione called.

"Bye, 'Mia," Hunter said, snuggling into Quirrell's shoulder. The encounter with the troll had exhausted him.

The next thing he knew, he was drifting off....