Chapter Nineteen

Hunter stirred and squinted. He felt exhausted, and he was twitching with the remains of the excruciating pain he'd experienced earlier.

Two incredibly-worried golden eyes were staring at him, and he realized his dad's wolf was at the surface. With effort, he opened his eyes completely.

Remus was curled around him on a cot, a muffled, anxious growl coming from his throat. The blond sniffed at his hair, then relaxed. "Cub?" Remus whimpered. "Cub okay?"

Hunter snuggled closer. "Yes, Daddy, I'm okay. Just tired."

"Good." Remus was in control of himself again. "Sharpmother said you'd need water when you woke up, and that you couldn't get up for another couple of minutes. You'll feel exhausted for a few days." Hunter felt him reach over and grab something.

"Mm-kay," Hunter mumbled. "How long've I been sleeping?" He took a couple sips of the water Remus was offering him. The cold water rushed down his throat, which was raw from screaming, and he relaxed.

"A week." Remus' voice was small and soft, and Hunter moved closer. "We all thought you were...."

"The cloaked one said I can't die 'til I'm old," Hunter replied sleepily. Remus leaned over him again and put the cup back.

"What cloaked one?"

"They said their name was Deaf, I think," Hunter yawned.

His dad froze. "You mean Death?"

"Yeah." Hunter blinked up at him. "'s that okay?"

"Yes, of course, that means I'll never lose you," Remus rasped, squeezing him closer. "I just wish I hadn't lost..."  his voice cracked.

"Death said Mum has never killed anyone," Hunter said quickly. "And they only got twelve souls eleven years ago... fourteen, including Aunt Lily and Uncle Prongs."

Remus blinked, hope flickering across his face. "They?" he asked after a pause.

"Death isn't a girl or a boy. They just are," Hunter explained.

"He... they didn't get Peter?" Remus whispered.

"You mean Uncle Wormy?" Remus looked a mixture of amused and pained when he nodded. "No, they didn't."

"That means we can find him and prove Siri innocent," Remus breathed.

"We can ask the goblins for help!" Hunter added eagerly. He was much more awake now, but he was still a bit sluggish. He sat up. "They're good at finding lost people."

There was a knock on the door, and Remus sat up, putting Hunter in his lap. "Come in."

Griphook and another, older goblin entered. This one looked incredibly wise and sharp-minded.

"Good, you're awake," Griphook said briskly. "This is Everfang, the head of Gringotts and our queen."

Hunter gasped and bowed, then winced. "Hi, queenie." Remus chuckled quietly.

The goblin queen smiled. "There's no need to bow, little one. You have the titles of Lord Slytherin-Gryffindor, Lord Hufflepuff, Lord Merlin, Lord Death, Lord Peverell, and Lord Potter; you are higher than every king and queen."

Hunter blushed.

"We would like to help you against Dumbledore," Everfang continued, her eyes flashing with disgust and anger. Goblins did not tolerate thievery, but they especially hated when one put blocks and compulsions on children. "Madam Bones and Tom Riddle are in the lobby. Lord Riddle is already allies with the vampire king, High Alpha Greyback, and the leader of the dementors. Madam Bones is here to help you with arresting those Muggles."

"Excuse me, Your Majesty," Remus began, puzzled, "but who is-"

"Uncle Tommy is Lord Voldemort, Daddy," Hunter reminded him.

"What?!"

Hunter burst into giggles.