Chapter Four

Hunter was able to write to the Malfoys, but only because the Dursleys were afraid that they'd come looking for him if he didn't write. They also locked all of his things in Dudley's second bedroom. Dudley, while pretending to complain, secretly snuck one of his potions books to him after his parents had gone to bed.

The day before September first, Hunter shyly approached his uncle. "S-sir?" he stammered.

"What?" Vernon growled.

"Um, I have to be at Kings Cross tomorrow before eleven," Hunter mumbled.

"What platform?" his uncle growled.

Hunter pulled out the ticket Narcissa had given him and blinked. "Nine and three quarters," he responded.

"What?" Vernon demanded, staring at him. Hunter shrank back and opened his mouth to answer, but nothing came out. "Whatever," his uncle snorted, "those other freaks will make sure you get on the train. Just make sure you don't come back until summer," he spat.

"Y-yes, Uncle Vernon," Hunter squeaked. Vernon flicked his hand in dismissal, and Hunter flinched before rushing back to his cupboard.

------------

The next morning at eight o'clock, Vernon drove him to Kings Cross and left him at the station, ignoring him the entire time. Hunter sat down on one of the benches with his owl, Hedwig, on his lap and the trunk underneath the bench. Hedwig was excellent company, even if he couldn't understand her.

Hunter had been surprised. Since he was a werewolf, the only animals that got along with him were dogs and snakes (but that was only because he could speak to them when he was in human form). Hedwig, however, had bonded with him instantly, and had become like a mom friend. She would coo at him whenever he was upset, hoot angrily and try to attack Vernon whenever he came near Hunter, and hiss at Petunia. She adored Dudley, probably because he kept sneaking Hunter food whenever his aunt and uncle decided we wasn't worthy enough to eat.

After two hours, Hunter started to get worried. What if the Malfoys never showed up? What if he couldn't figure out how to get on the platform? What if-?

"Hunter!"

Hunter jumped and turned, beaming when he saw Draco behind him. "You scared me," he squeaked, almost jumping over the bench to hug him.

Draco laughed and hugged him back. "Sorry," he said, not sounding the least apologetic. "Hey, Hedwig." He patted the bird on the head, and Hedwig nipped at his finger fondly. "Come on, my parents are waiting."

Hunter made to pick up his trunk, but Draco beat him to it. Sighing, Hunter picked up Hedwig's empty cage instead, then followed the taller boy over to Narcissa and Lucius, who were waiting by platform nine. Hedwig flew after them, perching on Draco's shoulder.

"Do you know how to get onto the platform?" Narcissa asked kindly, once she'd hugged him.

Hunter shook his head shyly.

"The barrier between platforms nine and ten will be a gateway to platform nine and three quarters until eleven o'clock," Narcissa explained. "It's not solid, don't worry."

"So... I just have to walk through it?" Hunter guessed.

"Clever!" Narcissa cooed, kissing the top of his head and making Hunter blush. "Go with Draco. We'll follow with the luggage."

Draco set down Hunter's trunk and held out his hand. Blushing harder, Hunter took it.

"Jeez, Hunter, you have a strong grip," Draco exclaimed, making Hunter turn redder than a cherry. Sometimes he wished he wasn't a werewolf....