Chapter Thirteen

"P-Professor?" Hunter squeaked. Draco looked a mixture of shocked and furious.

Quirrell flinched and winced. "Hunter-"

Calm down, little cub, Hogwarts said gently. I brought Quirrell here. He has no desire to hurt you or any child. He needs the Stone for his master, who will protect you from Dumbledore.

"What do you mean?" Draco demanded. "How is Dumbledore a danger to Hunter? And who is his master?"

"That would be me."

The voice was raspy and tired, and seemed to echo from everywhere, but Hunter could tell the voice came from the back of Quirrell's head.

"Who are you?" Draco asked warily, stepping in front of Hunter. Hunter squeezed his hand.

"Tom Marvolo Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort," said the voice.

Draco blanched.

"S-sir?" Hunter whispered. "W-what happened that night?"

"I did not kill James and Lily Potter, and I did not try and kill you," Voldemort responded. "I went there to study you, maybe take you and the Potters into hiding, because Dumbledore would most certainly try and turn you into a weapon. Unfortunately, they had a visitor that night... a bearded one." Voldemort's raspy voice was laced with anger.

"Dumbledore was there when Hunter's parents were killed?" Draco exclaimed.

"James and Lily Potter are not Hunter's parents," Voldemort said calmly. "He was blood-adopted by them, which is how he is Hufflepuff's and Gryffindor's heir. His real parents are a descendent of Ravenclaw and their spouse. I believe Dumbledore kidnapped the child and made the Potters believe he was their son."

Hunter gaped.

Little Dragon will take little cub to Gringotts to take a blood test during the summer, Hogwarts said quietly, making Draco pout and Hunter giggle. For now... little cub, you are the only one who can retrieve the Stone.

"That explains why I could not remove the Stone," Quirrell sighed.

"What do I do?" Hunter asked softly, letting go of Draco and approaching Quirrell.

The man had been standing in front of a tall mirror with words carved around the edges. It didn't look like any language Hunter had ever seen.

Oh, that's because it's English and in code! Hunter realized, reading the message backwards.

I show not your face but your heart's desire.

Just stand in front of the mirror, little cub, Hogwarts said. Hunter looked into the mirror.

He could see his reflection, except he was smiling. The Hunter in the mirror shyly produced an oddly-cut ruby and put it into his own pocket. The next moment, Hunter felt a weight in his robes. He pulled out the same ruby and stared at it.

"Thank you, child," Voldemort said quietly. "I will return the Stone to its maker, if that is what you are worried about."

"Thanks, sir," Hunter said shyly.

"You may call me Uncle Tom," Voldemort chuckled. Draco's jaw dropped.

Quirrell took the Stone and smiled nervously at Hunter. "I really am sorry about that troll," he said with embarrassment.

Hunter hugged the professor in answer, and Quirrell released a shaky breath, hugging him back.

You do not have much time, Hogwarts warned. Little Dragon, take little cub and your friends back to the Slytherin common room. Quirrell, Tom, you must leave now. Dumbledore is on his way back from the Ministry.

Quirrell kissed the top of Hunter's head and straightened. "I will see you both soon," he said quietly.

"Bye, Professor!" Hunter said happily. "Bye, Uncle Tommy!"

Voldemort let out a dramatic sigh. "Uncle Tommy works, I suppose. Get going, Quirinus."

"Yes, my lord," Quirrell replied, a flicker of an amused smirk passing over his face. "Goodbye, child."