Chapter Nine

Hunter found himself hiding in the second-floor bathroom, curled up on the floor in one of the cubicles. This bathroom was labelled out-of-order, so he knew no one would find him, which was what he wanted.

He hadn't cried this hard since Vernon had accused him of eating some of Dudley's cake two years ago. He hadn't been in the house all day, and Dudley's face was covered with frosting and crumbs. After Vernon had broken his arm, he'd locked him in his cupboard and left him there for a week. (Dudley had apologized profusely so many times, but it didn't stop Hunter from being distraught. He would never steal Dudley's cake!)

Hunter had only been in the bathroom for one minute when he felt something invisible caressing him.

Shh, little cub.

Hunter blinked. The voice sounded vaguely female.

I am Hogwarts, dear.

Hi, Hunter thought shyly, sniffing.

You poor dear. Don't worry, the man will be punished. Now, there's someone I'd like you to meet. Go over to the sinks, little cub.

Hunter stood up shakily, wiping his nose on his sleeve. Then he limped over to the sinks. He squinted; was that a snake carved onto one of the taps?

Ask the snake for entry, little cub.

"Can I come in, please, sir? Or ma'am?" Hunter asked in snake language, rather shyly. Hogwarts laughed gently.

The sink rumbled and disappeared into the ground, revealing a huge pipe. Hunter squealed; he loved slides!

Go down and meet Salazar's guardian, little cub. He will protect you.

Hunter jumped into the pipe.

At the bottom of the pipe was a long stone tunnel. Hunter limped walked quickly down it, ignoring the pain in his leg.

At the end of the tunnel was a circular door with two snakes carved into it. Hunter spoke again. "May I come in, please?"

Hogwarts chuckled again as the door split in half and disappeared into the walls on either side, revealing a huge, dark cavern. Hunter limped through the doorway.

A form stirred in the darkness. Hello, little heir, a voice hissed gently.

"Hi," Hunter said shyly.

With a hissy sort of laugh, the form emerged out of the shadows, revealing a huge, elegant black serpent. It was bigger than an elephant!

Hunter stared up at him with awe, and the snake laughed again, gazing down at Hunter with fond amber eyes.

"Come, there are others you must meet, little heir," the snake crooned, before slithering back into the shadows. Hunter followed.

The snake stopped instantly, and Hunter realized he'd been limping again. "Little heir, what happened?" the snake hissed, sounding angry and concerned.

"I'm fine," Hunter insisted, then yelped when the snake snatched the back of his robes with his fangs and gently deposited him on his back.

It was a child, Umbra, Hogwarts said sharply. One of my students. They do not realize how innocent little cub really is. You will not harm them.

Yes, Lady Hogwarts, the snake grumbled irritably, making Hunter giggle. In a gentler tone, Umbra hissed, Hang on, little heir; we wouldn't want you to fall.

Hunter leaned forward and wrapped his arms around the serpent. Umbra slowly slid forward again, careful to not jolt Hunter off of him.

A huge statue loomed out of the darkness, a statue of a man's head. The jaw lowered, revealing another dark tunnel, and Umbra slid inside.

After a while, the tunnel branched off into a well-lit library. Hunter's eyes widened with awe at the sheer amount of books.

"Umbra, is this the heir?"

Hunter jumped and almost fell of the snake. The man who had spoken was from a huge portrait on the wall adjacent them, depicting the same study. Hunter recognized the man from his head; the statue they were currently in was almost identical to him. Behind him was a red-haired man, who was swinging around a sword, and a plump brown-haired woman, who was avoiding the sword.

Yes, Master, the snake said. Go meet your ancestors, little heir.

Hunter's jaw dropped. He was meeting the Hogwarts Founders?

The black-haired man smiled amusedly, amber eyes glittering. "You must be Hunter Potter."

The red-headed man jumped and raised his sword, his green eyes eager. "A Potter? Where!"

Hunter giggled and slipped off of Umbra, collapsing in the armchair closest to the portrait. "Hi."

"Oh, he's so adorable!" the plump woman cooed, her blue eyes full of warmth. Hunter blushed. "Rowena, stop reading and meet our heir!"

"No! I must find the answer to curing lycanthropy!" a female voice exclaimed from the shelves.

Hunter frowned. "But I like being a werewolf." Then he blanched.

"Not everyone does, dear," the plump woman said gently. "Many are abused because they were bitten, and very few can get jobs."

"Oh," Hunter said in alarm. "Can I help?"

A woman with the same black hair as the Parselmouth appeared, beaming. "A subject?"

"He is a child, Rowena Ravenclaw!" the plump woman said sharply.

"Apologies," Rowena sighed, then disappeared again. Hunter giggled.

The dark-haired man rolled his eyes. "I apologize for Rowena's rudeness, she prefers reading to human contact." He dipped his head. "I am Salazar Slytherin. The idiot with the sword is Godric Gryffindor-"

"I am not an idiot!" the red-haired man declared, sheathing the weapon.

"You tried to woo a dragon!" Rowena shouted from the shelves. Hunter giggled again.

"After Salazar gave me a love potion!" Godric said indignantly. Salazar smirked.

"-the motherly woman is Lady Helga Hufflepuff-"

"Hello, dear," Helga said kindly.

"-and the bookworm is Lady Rowena Ravenclaw," Salazar finished.

"Hi," Hunter said again.

"The child is mine now," Helga declared.

"No, he is mine!" Godric bellowed.

"Helga, Godric, he is already ours!" Salazar cried exasperatedly, and Hunter burst into quiet giggles. "Hogwarts, please inform the child's friends that he is fine now, and he will be back for supper."

Of course, Lord Slytherin, Hogwarts replied serenely.

"Tell us about yourself, child," Salazar said gently, settling himself on the floor. Godric plopped down on his lap, making Hunter giggle again and Salazar sigh irritably. Helga laughed and joined them.

"Have you had any adventures?" Godric asked eagerly.

"Is the child telling a tale?" Rowena asked just as eagerly, poking her head out. Her brown eyes sparkled.

"Yes! And if there are not dragons, I will be disappointed," Godric declared.

"There aren't any dragons, but there's a werewolf, sir," Hunter said shyly.

"Call me Uncle Godric! And you can call Salazar Uncle Sal," Godric added. Salazar rolled his eyes, and Hunter giggled.

"Aunt Helga will do, little one," Helga said amusedly.

"And I, Aunt Ro," Rowena agreed, settling down beside Helga.

"Okay," Hunter said shyly. He hesitated, then decided to tell them about Dudley's worst fear: ducks. (He left out a few parts about his uncle....)