Chapter Two

Hunter paused at the sidewalk, frowning. How was he going to get to... where was he going, anyway? He pulled out the letter and began to read.

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall,

Deputy Headmistress

Hunter scowled. How was he supposed to-

His magic tingled in his arm and forced it upward. The next second, there was a loud BANG! and a huge, double-decker bus thundered to a halt in front of him. The words Knight Bus were printed on the side.

The door opened, and a tall, skinny girl, who looked about nineteen, with yellow-striped blue hair stood there.

"Hi, welcome to Chile's," the girl grinned.

"CASSANDRA TONKS!" a voice shouted from the bus. "Do your job properly, we are not Chile's!"

The girl rolled her eyes and sighed. "You're no fun, Ernie!

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," she said to Hunter, "emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board, and we can take you anywhere you want to go.** My name is Cassandra Tonks, and I'll be your conductor this evening."

"I'm Hunter Potter," he said shyly. Cassandra gaped at him for a moment before shaking herself. "Do you know where I'm supposed to get my Hogwarts supplies, ma'am?"

"Call me Cassie," Cassandra said brightly. "It's great to meet you, Mr. Potter-"

"Hunter," Hunter said, blushing.

"-Hunter, and the place you're looking for is Diagon Alley," Cassie grinned. "That's seven sickles."

"Um, what are sickles?" Hunter asked curiously.

"Are you new to the wizarding world?" Cassie demanded. "Because... eh, whatever. They're less than galleons, but more than knuts. I don't know how much, I'm bad at math."

"What are galleons and knuts?"

"Galleons are the big gold coins, sickles are the little silver coins, and knuts are the bronze coins," Cassie explained helpfully.

"Um, I don't have any money," Hunter admitted.

"What's your name again?" Cassie asked dryly.

"Uh, Hunter Potter-"

"Your parents are rich. They gave everything to you," Cassie said. "Tell you what; I'll come with you to Gringotts -- that's the wizarding bank -- and get seven sickles from your account."

"O-okay," Hunter said shyly.

"Merlin, you're adorable," Cassie said in glee. "Come aboard, smol bean."

Hunter blushed and climbed onto the bus.

The inside of the bus was filled with armchairs which seemed to be nailed to the ground. There were only two other passengers on this floor; one looked green, and the other was flushed and eager.

"Ernie, Leaky Cauldron," Cassie called to the driver. The man nodded. "Take a seat and hang on," the girl advised, grinning at Hunter.

Hunter hopped onto one of the chairs and gripped it. "Don't you have any seatbelts?"