Chapter 10

It's been three hours since Lauren left and I'm getting worried. She said she'd be home an hour ago and I haven't heard from here. Normally she'd text or something, but I've got nothing. I don't want to ring and disturb her lessons so I scurry down to to the kitchen and make some pancakes.

Another half an hour passes and I really start to worry. I'm reading a book in her bed when my phone goes off, but it's an unknown number. I pick it up and answer quickly.

"Hello?" I say into the phone and a deep manly voice replies.

"Hello is this Camila?" He asked.

"Yes it is, can I ask who's speaking?"

"Sorry how rude of me," he starts. "My names Officer Ralph Horan. I'm here at Miami General Hospital and I'm afraid to report that Lauren Jauregui has been brought in with serious injuries."

"What?!" I scream but I try to compose myself to get more information.

"From what we've gathered she was in a fight with 7 other men around her age. She was cornered and beaten severally. Someone found her later unconscious and called the ambulance in. We've caught 4 of 7 boys involved and they're all giving statements while she's going into surgery."

"I'm on my way," I mutter before hanging up and racing out to Claire's house.

I bang on the door and she opens with a smile on her face.

"Oh hello there little C what can I do for you? Did she forget to go food shopping again?" She says with a smirk on her face.

"Claire she's been mugged. She's at the hospital now we need to go," I stutter out and her face fell.

"SHANE GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE AND DRIVE US TO THE DAMN HOSPITAL!" she screams and I flinch. She sees me scared and engulfs me in her arms while sobs wracked my body.

"Don't you worry darling she'll be fine, you know her, she's a fighter our Lauren," she whispers as she rocks me gently. A tall fit man ran down the stairs looking flustered.

"What wrong babe, your waters not broken has it? It's too early damn it," He shakes out panicky and I pull back.

"You're water?! Youre pregnant?!" I half yell and she sighs.

"We don't have time for this! I'll explain later come on," she rushes out and we all climb into the car. The journey couldn't have been more than 25 minutes but it felt like years. I was shaking and a million possibilities ran through my head.

We finally pulled up outside the hospital and I jumped out of the car with Claire. We went straight to the front desk and Claire took control.

"We're here for Lauren, Lauren Jauregui?" She says as she rubs my back trying to clam me down.

I couldn't breath. My whole world was falling down around me and I felt like my insides were being twisted. I can't lose her, I only just got her. We were meant to be forever, weren't we?

Claire leads me up stairs and through corridors but it was all a blur and I was numb. We stopped outside the surgery theatre while I group of doctors wheeled in what we presumed was Laurens body.

"Oh my god is she okay?! What's going on?!" Claire demands and a young doctor pulls us to the side while they wheel her out of our view into another room.

"You must be her step sister and..?" And asked referring to me.

"Girlfriend," I say shakily and he nods.

"Well I'm afraid to say Lauren's not looking too good. From what we can see from the x-rays is she's got 4 broken ribs, a fractured skull, a broken nose, leg, and 3 broken fingers. She's got a lot of internal bleeding and unfortunately she's got a very rare blood type, which we had to get in from a hospital 4 miles away which causes delay. Her body's very weak and we've got her in surgery to try fix the ribs and all the injuries on her skull." He finished and I nearly collapsed. My poor baby had to suffer through that. Whoever did this isn't going to get off lightly.

"Police would like for you both to make a statement down on floor 3's waiting room, when you're ready," he said with a sad smile which I tried to return but it probably came out as a grimace.

Claire and I traveled silently down to floor 3 and sat down. I looked up to take in the faces of those sitting with us and then I spotted him. His face that now repulsed me was plastered with a scowl and he slouched in his seat looking pissed off.

"YOU DID THIS YOU FUCKING DICK!" I screamed with a raw voice as he looked up to see me.

"Of course you're here you slut. What, I knock your little girlfriend around and now you hate me? You're a piece of shit you disgusting dyke and you should be in there dying too," he smirked out and I lost it. I lunged for him and Claire reacted quickly and held me back.

"Mila he's not worth it, you need to clam down. Think about Lauren," she soothed in my ear and I stopped my actions. He let out an obnoxious chuckle and I wanted to kill him. A few of his posse sat around him, all sporting handcuffs.

A policeman entered from a door on the corridor and we all turned to watch him. He took his hat off and ran his hand through his hair.

"Right, Jake Hanson, Mark Stevenson and Adam Ryan your parents have been called and should be here shortly. Jake, your father has bailed you out but you're on house arrest until you're further notified," the guard spoke and then the room went silent. It's obvious Jake was behind this, but I never knew he had so much hate inside him. He never really showed signs of it all the time we were together, but I suppose that just shows how little we really knew each other. I guess we were together for the sake of being together.

I was a bit considered about where that left the relationship of our families. Our fathers were both shared positions as directors at a huge stock exchange business. They were business partners and jake and I's relationship was was born from there alliance. This drama will surely cause a strain on them since they're both very headstrong. And the fact Jake will not stop until my dad knows Lauren is more than just a friend to me makes a shiver run down my spine. I don't really know how he'll react since there's never been talk of homosexuality in my house. All we ever talk about is work and what's for dinner.

I really needed Lauren. She was the person who I clung to when life seemed so uncertain but now that her dented well being is the cause of the ripples in my future. I wanted to hug her so much it ached me. We still hadn't got word back from her surgery and I was getting worried.

Suddenly a tall, stocky, well dressed man with thick hair neatly brushed back walked into the waiting room. His green eyes were livid with rage and I instantly recognised him as Jakes father.

"Jake what the hell are you playing at?!" He screamed. I heard a gasp to my right so I turned to look at Claire. She had her mouth wide open and her eyes had shock in them.

"Claire what's wrong," I say softly as she stares at Jakes father.

"That's Laurens dad."