Chapter 12

The next few days were full of tests of every kind for Lauren. She sat up in bed with her eyes half open, in a delirious state due to all the medication she lived on.

I had called my mother to tell her i wouldn't be home again, but all I got was the automated voice mail that I've heard so many times before.

I wouldn't dare leave her side since shes at the most vulnerable state of her life. Today was not just an important day due to Lauren coming out of her coma, but Jake has got his court trial today.

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. Jakes family is manipulating, slimy and would do anything to cover their backs; I have a feeling that it wont all go to plan like I had hoped. Claire has gone to represent Lauren and also myself since Shane trained to be a barrister he's filling in the gap of our lawyer. I trusted him with and Claire, and I knew they'd pull through for us.

I heard a small sigh and I turned my attention to the fragile girl in front of me.

"Hey there sleepy head," I soothed out as she tried to get her eyes open.

"Camilllaaaaaa" she slurs out and I couldnt hold back a giggle. Even all dosed up on pain killers she was adorable.

"How are you feeling baby?" I said as I held her hand.

"Sore," she pouted and tried to move around in the bed but gave up once she was all out of energy.

"What you say laur?" I heard her mumble out something which i couldnt understand.

"Marry me," she said as she tried to look me in the eyes but kept dosing off into space.

"Lauren youre so drugged up right now you dont even know what youre saying," I say with a sad smile, which I'm guessing she didn't catch since a flash of surprise contorted her face.

"Nooo I will, we will soon," she says with a lazy smile and while her head lulls back into her pillow.

"I missed you so much Lauren," I say with a shaky voice trying not to cry. By now her eyes are almost closed and shes still again.

"I love you," she mumbles before falling back to sleep. Moments like this have been happening every few hours since yesterday and they left me with so much happiness inside me I felt I might burst. I knew she'd fight through it and be alright, and id help her through it too.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by my phone ringing. I quickly picked it up and i was met with the soft voice of Claire.

"Camila? Any news?" she questioned.

"Yes! She woke up again, she started to speak in structured sentences which is brilliant. The doctors said they expect her memory and speech to be okay, but the nerves in her legs aren't responding very well. They didnt give a definite answer as to when they want to try again."

"Well at least it's something right?" I heard her say softly down the phone.

"Yeah it's wonderful," I smile. I really was proud of her.

"Well I called to update you on something, but you're not going to like where it's heading.." she started while I climbed into Lauren's bed with her, I positioned myself so I was cradling her head and running my hands through the remains of hair she had.

"Okay, shoot," I replied.

"Well once we got here we were a bit surprised to see Daniel, Laurens dad here with Jake in the courtroom. We brushed it off but it turns out Jake is pleading on accounts of Self-Defence. Daniel brought evidence of Lauren's past drug usage that make her look like a very possible threat, she was even given a official warning by police when she was caught in a drug bust with the damn gang she was in. Daniels has known all this time about Lauren, her whereabouts and how we struggled, but he kept away to obviously keep his reputation clear. Now he's trying to cover Jakes back with her mistakes, saying she's unstable and reckless. He's trying to turn the case around on her. But that's not the worst bit," She said in a shaky voice. By now I was as stiff as a plank of wood, I felt my chest tighten when I looked down to see my baby sleeping. She didnt know what was to face her in the future, all the pain she'd have to go through.