Chapter 16

We arrive back to the house while clouds start to overcast the sky. I hop out of the car and jog over to the shed and I can't believe what I see.
All my stuff that I had in Laurens house is in boxes and garbage bags out the front of the house. My whole life has been put into boxes and left out in the rain.
I burst into the house and I walk in to find Lauren and Jake in the kitchen; Jake was eating at the table while Lauren awkwardly struggled to stand by the sink doing dishes. I looked back and forth between the two until my eyes landed on Lauren. She looked up to see who had entered but quickly looked away when she saw it was me and continued her actions at a more vigorous pace.
"What did you do to her?!" I yell at Jake who has him mouth full of food.
"Nothing, she's just seen sense" he mumbles out with food flying out every word or so. I stare in disbelief until he speaks again.
"Get out of here you freak, she doesn't want you anymore" he spits and it feels like a bullet ripping through my chest. I look over to her and she obviously is uncomfortable. I walk over to her and stop her cleaning with my hands.
"Lauren look me in the eyes and tell me you don't love me anymore" I say and try to get her to look at me unsuccessfully.
"Did you not hear me?! Get the fuck out!" He bellows and stands up from the table. I flinch but don't back down.
"Jake this is non of your business!" I scream back and he takes an intimidating step forward.
"I swear to god if you don't get out of here in the next thirty seconds I will hurt you worse than I hurt her" he says through gritted teeth and I want to cry. I look back to Lauren and she's got her eyes trained on her feet, completely unresponsive.
"Fine. But I want Lauren to know I haven't stopped loving her, and I never will. And I won't stop fighting for her." I say and with that I turn and spin on my heels, walking out the door to find Claire and Shane waiting for me.
"He's such a dick" I say through sobs and Claire hugs me. Silently Shane picks up all my things from outside her shed and we walk into the house.
Shane and I climb the stairs as Claire goes into the living room with Oliver.
Shane leads me to the guest bedroom and opens the door, letting me go in first.
He sits my belongings down on the bed and I plop myself down beside them in a complete daze of numbness. I blankly stare at the white wall opposite me and when I except Shane to leave my room, he speaks;
"Mila I gotta tell you something, I know I need to get it out now so you listen up, okay?" He says softly and I lift my head to see him pacing back and forth.
"I know I've only known you a little over a year, and I've only seen you and Lauren together for two or three months, but I swear to god I've never seen any two people more right for each other.
When we moved her to your school, I know there was no happiness in that girl. She was tired of life and I knew this was her last hope. But that day she came home with the damn biggest smile I've ever seen on her face and told us about you; this pretty little lady she met in her maths class who had sparkly eyes and a smile that could light up a whole town. I saw how damn happy you made her even when you's weren't together.
Then yous two started seeing each other and I thought she was high half the time. She started singing again, she was giggling and laughing with Claire, she was smiling no for reason at all. She was planning and scheming ways just to make you smile and I knew you were the one she was going to grow old with the second I saw you two side by side. The way yous read each others body language, you both know just how the others feeling by the way they blink; that's true love right there. I know because I have it with Claire. I know that a love like that doesn't normally last, but you've got a whole 14 months still with that glint in your eye when someone says her name and I would bet on my own sons life that yous two were made for each other in heaven.
She needs you Camila, I don't know what's going on in that mind of hers right now but I know she's scared, and you gotta fight for her. You gotta show her how much you can love her and she'll remember every last emotion she feels for you. You both will be happy again if I've got a damn say in it. Just promise me you'll fight for her the way she did for you?" She finishes as he turns to face me.
"I promise" I whisper in disbelief. He turns and starts to walk out the door.
"Wait, Shane?" I say and he turns.
"Thank you, a lot" I say and he gives me a small smile and closes the door behind him.
I flop back into the bed and stare at the ceiling as my mind whirls with thoughts but one thought was standing out from the rest; I had to fight for her.