Chapter 15

I stood in the crowded airport, in a sea of people here for the same reason as I, waiting.
I heard the loud voices of intercoms and people saying hellos and goodbyes. Claire stood beside me and Shane stood on my other with the baby pram. We were silent for nerves choked us all of speech.
"Do you think she's ok" I whisper and Claire grabs my hand.
"Of course she's just takin' her damn time, you know Lauren" she says softly with a smile in her voice which made the mood lighter.
Suddenly a wave of people come out from the terminal, some old, some young. And that's when I spot her and my heart races.
She's wearing her denim jacket and boots, like the first day I met her. She limps in crutches while she carries a bag pack on her back. Her eyes are dull and dark circles are under them. Her frame looks thinner, frailer almost. She's wearing a grey beanie and has the long half of her hair cascading from under it. She's pale and I see she's struggling to take each step. Jakes in tow with her bags of things with his usual scowl on his face. He spots us and slightly pushes Lauren causing her to stumble. He grips her upper arm and almost drags her a few paces before she regains herself. To anyone who didnt know Jake wouldn't have noticed it, but I did.
They made their way over and I bit my lip trying to calm myself down. I missed her so much it ached.
"Hello everyone" Jake says once we get close enough. Claire's the first to jump on Lauren. Lauren hugs her with one hand as the other supports her on her crutches. They pull away and I hear Lauren sniffling. Shane then gives her a bear hug and she buries her head in his chest. She then looks down to Oliver in the pram and smiles.
"Hey there buddy" she says with a small smile and I melt. She was still beautiful, so beautiful.
She then turns to me and my heart explodes. She won't even look me in the eye.
"Hello Camila" she says and gives me the quickest hug we've ever had. We pull apart and go in to kiss her, but she turns her face so I kiss her cheek and my heart breaks.
"Camila I cannot continue the relationship you and I had prior to me leaving. I've been shown that what we were doing was sinful and I don't want to fall back into that downwards spiral. I'm sorry if this is confusing or hard for you but I'm afraid I can't help you. I hope you'll understand." She finished her little speech without even looking me in the face.
"Lauren?" I say as my voice cracks and my eyes overflow with tears.
She doesn't answer, she just follows Jake who leads her out the door, towards his car. He was going to drive Lauren to our house and help her get settled back in but I couldn't stand to have him around any longer than I needed it. She just broke up with me. I spend 14 months of my life waiting for her, isolated from everything, kicked out of my house, lost my friends and family just so she could break up with me without even saying hello?
Pain shot through my whole body. I couldn't breath, my chest tightened and I felt like I was hollow inside. I didn't even want to take in oxygen anymore. She muttered the words as if they didnt just rip my world apart.
I felt myself being enveloped by Shane's huge frame and I fall into his embrace. I cling to him as his leads me out the door to our car.
"Don't you worry Mila, we're not going to let anything happen to you. You can stay with us for as long as you want in our house, okay? I don't know what had gotten into that girl but I can bet you anything it has to do with that boy and his damn father" Claire muttered when we were driving home and all I could do is silently nod. My tears wouldn't stop falling from my eyes and I didn't want to be here; I didn't want to be anywhere.
How could she forget everything we had? She's the one who fought for me wasn't she? 14 months isn't that long, no one can erase that kind of love from their brain in such a small amount of time. I was still in love with her, every bit of her. I waited for so long.
I turned to face out the window and I notice it had started to rain. It's been happening a lot since its getting into late November but soon it'll turn from rain to snow. I let out a shaky sigh and I wondered is there any point in even going on.