chapter 14

I spaced out for a moment, then sneakily ran off without making a sound

I spaced out for a moment, then sneakily ran off without making a sound. I knew that there was something up, but I had no say in it. I bit my lip and returned to the group.

"Did you run into Haechan?" Jaemin asked me, which I replied with a shake of my head. "Where could he have gone?"

"I'll be leaving early, I forgot I had packages to sort out today," I lied. I finished them all yesterday, but I need some alone time. I grabbed the stuffed toy and the dog bag where Star was. "Have fun."

"But Ahyoung..." Jisung lowly said with a pout. "I haven't seen you in a long time. I was hoping to spend more time with you and the gang."

"I'm sorry, Jisung," I apologized, feeling the guilt taking over me. "I'll make it up to you all somehow."

"If this is about Haechan, he's just—"

"Fuck off," I gritted, cutting Renjun off.

"Oh, so it's okay to swear at me but not Jisung?" Renjun questioned, getting heated up.

"Renjun, do you see those Moomin plushies? Let's go there," Jeno pulled Renjun away by force to stop the argument.

"Don't pressure yourself too much, Ahyoung," Chenle patted my shoulder. "Call me up if you need someone to talk to like old times. I'm always free."

"Thanks," I showed a small smile.

I left the group and headed home. Once arriving, I took Star out of the bag and headed to our room. I placed the stuffed toy on my bed and tidied the room up.

"Bark bark!"

I looked down at Star, who wanted to play. I threw the ball to the other side of the room and she chased after it. While she was distracted, I opened my drawer and stared at the brochure about Busan.

Am I thinking about doing something potentially stupid? You are damn right.

"Star, you can stay with Haechan for the night, right?" I smiled as she had the ball in front of her. She whimpered, which made me chuckle. "You'll be fine. He's a nice guy."

I placed the brochure under my pillow and packed one of my bags with the necessities that I needed to spend a night away. It was a last-minute impulsive decision that I may or may not regret.

"They'll be home before dinner, so you'll be fine. I'll leave some food and water in you food bowl," I talked to Star who just barked. "The aircon will be on as well, not too cold."

I made my way to the front door and waved goodbye to Star. I left the apartment and headed to the nearest train station, getting a ticket to Busan.

Almost three hours had passed and I arrived at the stunning place. Busan was somewhere I wanted to go to, because it seemed quiet. To add upon, no one knows me here, unlike in Seoul.

I enjoyed the rest of the day, walking around and going in and out of the somewhat busy shops. The sun was setting when I sat down on the sand of the beach. I watched the sunset alone, something that comforted me.

Maybe this was what I needed. Time away from everyone I knew and spend the day by myself to think about things. Maybe I was too dependent on others ever since that cut opened, that it never properly healed.

I didn't cry. Instead, I released my anger. I shouted all the curse words I knew. All my problems, I shouted them. It felt like the baggage in my heart became lighter. I stood up when the sun had fully set, heading to a restaurant nearby. I sat down at a table and waited for the waiter to give me a menu.

I looked out the window, dazing off. The sky was dark and the stars were starting to shine throughout it. They twinkled beautifully, as if they were diamond sparkling in the sky.

"Hey."

As I turned my head, seeing a certain someone who I knew.

"Haechan?"

"The one and only," he smiled and sat across from me. He smiled at me, while I was in complete shock.

"Why did you follow me here?" I asked. "How did you get here so fast? Doesn't it take three hours?"

"One question at a time," he chuckled. "First, because everyone was worried. Second, I took a flight. Third, the flight takes less than an hour."

"My broke ass can't relate," I muttered.

"My turn to ask questions," he said with a playful smirk. "Are you going to stay the night? Where are you staying? Can I stay with you?"

"Yes. Hotel. No," I laconically answered.

"Why not?" Haechan pouted like a kid.

Suddenly, an old man in his fifties passed by, reeking of alcohol. I nearly gagged, hating the smell on a whole different level. Haechan took notice of my actions, which made his eyes focused on me.

"Why can't you stand alcohol?" Haechan asked sincerely. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"It's because my ex-boyfriend was an alcoholic. He threatened me with a broken alcohol bottle," I elucidated. Perhaps the reason why I couldn't move on from the pain as well, was because I couldn't talk about the situation. It was uneasy at heart at first, but afterward, it felt nice. "Maybe that's where it started getting worse to the point I couldn't stand it."

"Do you want me to be the one to help you conquer your fear?" Haechan asked with a comforting smile.

"How?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow. I couldn't get over it for years, but he somehow can?

"Drink alcohol with me right now."