12 || I Will Marry You

------------------------------------
Edited on May 16, 2021.
------------------------------------

"Are you General Xiao?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You didn't ask."

"I did ask for your name! Why did you lie to me, saying that your name was Jue Qing?"

"I didn't lie to you, my name is also Jue Qing."

"....." Chu Zhu Yu was speechless.

Alright, his name is Xiao Zhi Zhi AND Jue Qing, but doesn't the fact that he never said his other name before mean that he was hiding his identity from the very beginning?!

"Zhu Yu, does it really make a difference if I am the general or not?" Xiao Zhi Zhi looked at Chu Zhu Yu seriously.

He ordered all the servants to retire from his quarters. Anyone would find it difficult get inside or out because it was the general's bedroom, and now the only people left inside are Xiao Zhi Zhi and Chu Zhu Yu.

Chu Zhu Yu inhaled deeply, "You always wore black clothes, so I misunderstood, thinking that you were an imperial guard. But in reality, you intentionally did not tell me about your status. You just wanted to fool me, didn't you?"

The ridiculous part was that when she was in the kitchen, she was even worried about him so much.

"Are you angry?" her expression made him feel uneasy.

"I am only a lowly maid, I don't have the right to be angry with the big general."

She lowered her head, her action and expression exactly similar to an ordinary maid who is talking to her master.

"No!" he grabbed her hands, "I know you are angry. I wear black clothes because of my childhood habit. Shi Fu taught me how to abstain. That's why I am always wearing black... I admit, I did plan to mislead you, but it was because I was afraid that if you know my status, you will act the same as other people, in fear of me."

He spoke with a hurried tone near her ear. Her wrist felt a bit of pain because he was holding it, but that pain was more pronounced because of his trembling fingers, it made her understand that he was actually so nervous.

Nervous?

He's the great general. How could he be nervous? If I say that to other people, I'm afraid no one will believe me.

"Zhu Yu, don't fear me. Just act the same as before, alright?" he murmured.

She raised her head, and was met with a pair of glistening eyes. His eyes were always clear and direct. Even though he was a person who acted warm or cold depending on his mood, she can't deny that he treated her well whenever they were together.

"I..." she hesitated.

"Don't be afraid of me... Many people fear me, but I want you to be an exception. I like the way we interact."

"......Fine!" Chu Zhu Yu shook her head.

After all, he was only hiding his status, he was still the same person otherwise.

Actually, she should have known earlier. Because no imperial guard could ever casually wear such a pure jade hairpin, and no imperial guard could ever own the expensive Jun Shan Yin Zhen tea, much less drink it everyday.

Moreover, people always talk about the good-looking general. Other than Jue Qing, who would dare say that there is someone more handsome than him?