2

September 15th, 2015
Payton Michelle Davids

"Kathryn!!" I shouted for her.

"Yes?"

"I can't find my new birth certificate." I was stressed out trying to get this identification card. My family was taking a vacation to Houston, Texas. We had never taken a vacation before so we were making sure to cover all bases.

New birth certificate. I need to explain that. I was adopted a few months ago by the Davids. They already have 3 daughters but I grew up with this family. I was five years old when I woke up on the side of the road with no previous memories. This family was moving in to this house down the street. At the time there was only Tim, his wife, Kathryn, and their daughters Michelle, the oldest (and the reason for my middle name) and Carter. I wandered into the house through the open door and saw Tim, Kathryn and Michelle watching TV. I walked up the stairs and heard music playing. I saw Carter, in her room, dancing and eating a fruit cup. She asked me who I was and I stole her fruit cup and pushed her down. I turned to face the TV and started dancing. She ran downstairs and came back soon enough with her parents. The called the police, who got ahold of a social worker who placed me in their "emergency" care. Whatever that means. The Davids gave me my name seeing as how I didn't remember mine. We got the adoption completed a few months ago.

I look out of place in this family. They're all caucasian and I'm not. I'm black or african american. Whichever you prefer. Tim, Kathryn, Michelle, Carter and Alexandria. I can't forget about my nephew Mychael. Michelle's son. He's 4 months but he's staying with his father, Mark, while we're in Houston.

"Here it is. You were just looking past it. Now let's go get your ID!" Kathryn exclaimed.

---

Beyoncé

My birthday passed almost 2 weeks ago. Which I was glad about. I hate my birthday. It just reminds me of how I failed as a mother. It reminds me of Houston. I was a lot more careful with Blue when she was born and I still am. I will not make the same mistake again.

Kelly and Michelle think that I blame them for that night. I don't. I know that they fought tooth and nail to keep Houston safe and it's in their scars. Kelly got her head bashed in trying to keep that man from getting upstairs and when he was done. He cut her on the stomach.

Michelle barricaded herself in the nursery as she called the police and when he got in the room he broke the phone and stabbed her in the side while she was blocking Houston from his view. He grabbed her when Michelle was too weak to fight back.

Every September 4. I cry for Houston. And my family leaves me to deal with my pain.